Do we really need anti keylogger

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by COMPYPY, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COMPYPY

COMPYPY Registered Member

I am generally a basic user with light security on my system as Avira Internet security+mbam or Avast internet security + mbam
    but after reading and testing the link from this thread https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=111264&page=781

I really wonder is my pc safe with this light security setup or I do really need anti logger or some extra layer of protection

P.S. almost all major internet security failed to stop keylogger from above link :mad:

2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

You should be fine with your current setup :)

3. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Some do go overboard :)

Just got to consider the vectors for infection, then look at what you are vulnerable to.

You've got some reasonable link scanning, phishing protection, IP blocking (MBAM), one of the best proactive antivirus scanners (Avira), and the best complementary scanner (IMO with MBAM). I'm assuming you mean Malwarebytes Pro of course.

It's still possible for something to get past this, but far less likely to get infected than the average user IMO. Some kind of Adblocking would remove the risk of infected ads, and the addition of Sandboxie would give a buffer between your system and any infection from exploits.

Other than that, common sense and safe behaviours will take you far.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Sandboxie and Avira aren't very compatible at the moment. There's a thread about it on Avira's forum.

5. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I thought the issue was limited to Sandboxie interfering with the installation of Avira?

I had a quick look and that's all I found, forgive me I don't have the time to search more.

6. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

it depend on your paranoia and on the seriousness of your work

if you do Banking i say it's a Must that's my opinion
    i Didn't like the Test Result Too speacily that Comodo Disappointed me
    i'm thinking about betraying comodo and Getting spyshelter Premuim

:-*

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Antiloggers assume there's an infection and run realtime. I don't really like them.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't either, and all of them are probably fallible in some way or another....

9. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

It would be one thing if it were hardware encryption like some HDD's offer but it's not worth the load on your disk/cpu.

10. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

No, not necessary even if you bank on-line.

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

An *unwanted* keylogger is the payload of a trojan. If (repeat IF!) your AV does a good job, the trojan won't get past it. Hence, you won't ever have an *unwanted* key logger. Hence, an anti-keylogger is conceivably naught but deadweight -- a solution that lacks an applicable problem.

However, keep that "IF" in mind. NO AV is impenetrable. Ergo, one should also have a firewall that NEVER allows any outgoing connection that the user has not personally & specifically allowed. Thus, if a keylogger should slip by one's AV, it cannot do any real harm if it absolutely CANNOT call home.

However, keep in mind that malware has become increasingly clever at getting around the user &/or his firewall in order to call home.

BUT - - - how likely is it that the *average* user will somehow run across a keylogger that is pernicious enough to get around his AV and his firewall and him (the user)? Answer: NOT bloody likely, wot! Impossible? No! But NOT bloody likely.

ON THE OTHER HAND -- for me, personally, a *unwanted* but active keylogger (one that has defeated my AV, my firewall, and me) is my worst nightmare, security-wise. All other malware infections are mere inconveniences. Why? Because I make frequent images of my system drive. I also back-up data files daily. If I get an infection, I restore a clean image and -- POOF! -- suddenly life is good again.

But a keylogger that has stolen my financial & personal info, & called home therewith, cannot be readily undone (if at all).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Although there is a VERY small likelihood that a keylogger could get by all my defenses, that likelihood nonetheless is NOT zero. Ergo, I do not begrudge the bit of extra CPU load of having yet one more layer of security -- namely an anti-keylogger -- running in those infrequent times when my personal & financial info are at high risk.

Bottom Line: I bought a lifetime license for Spyshelter & run it on those rare occasions where I feel I really need just that extra bit of security. Should you? Make up your own mind -- & the best of luck to ye! :cool:

12. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

frankly, if your pc has to get infected or if your personal data has to get compromised......it will...........as there is not software which is completely "bullet-proof".....

i get fascinated to see people using so many security programs...being so so worried about this and that........

for me a full-blown security suite is all that i need........

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I can readily recover from any & all infections -- even if a malware should format all my active drives -- EXCEPT that I cannot undo the compromise of data by a successful keylogger.

Some folks are in positions where their livelihood &/or reputation depends on protecting against the compromise of information.

If a compromise should occur, those responsible for system security are held accountable for showing that they took all reasonable precautions -- NOT for proving that they established a bullet-proof set-up.

Have you ever tested your "full-blown security suite" against the anti-keylogger POCs online at SS, or Zemana, or elsewhere? If so -- & if your suite did well -- please share its name with me. I'll give it a trial. ;)

14. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

@bellagamin,
    i am a regular home internet user and in all these years........i have never ever felt the need to be "that" paranoid or scared of Pc's security or i am Security Product manufacturer that i would spend my time testing my AV or FW against all those tests which many guys like you keep discussing here on the forum........

I don't use plethora of security products, but i do browse the net with caution and abstain myself from visitng un-trusted sites or downloading pirated games etc...

As you can see from my signature i use CIS right now and at most times a good reputed suite like norton...etc...

For me life is simple if you want to keep it simple........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.