Do we need TDS-4 at all?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by hojtsy, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hojtsy

hojtsy Registered Member

As there is a continuous discussion about TDS-4, I guess there is a rationale behind releasing such software. That rationale could only be that it would be 1) more effective against malware or 2) more easy to use. Lets suppose that it will be 1) more effective against malware. Or in other words it will cover malware not already covered by TDS-3. This should mean that there are some malware not yet covered by TDS-3, and which could not be covered by definition update. What are those? Is there anything like this? Or does DCS expect it to emerge in the close future? Or will TDS-4 only be 2) more easy to use?
    -hojtsy-

2. dallen

dallen Registered Member

hojtsy,
    I'm sure that someone with a lot more expertise will chime in to answer this soon, but in the meantime I'll take a stab at it.
    I think that you going to see a combination of 1 & 2. TDS-4 will likely be easy to use for the novice and probably have an "advanced mode" for the more knowledgeable. With regards to things not covered by TDS-3 I think that the ability of malicious items to mutate has caused difficulty for all anti-trojan scanners. TDS-3 is the best defense available to date and is still very adequate protection. Are there things that can escape detection and prevention under the current system? I have no idea, but I would say, yes. I can almost assure you that there are things that can slip past TDS-3. The real question is how likely are we to come across a malicious item that is that sophisticated? Probably not very likely, now. In my opinion TDS-4 is not being hurried because it is going to reach out into the future. Based on my readings, mostly in this forum, I would say that TDS-4 is being designed to protect us from malicious software that will be developed into the future. The developers are likely trying to anticipate what kind of bad things will be developed and they are developing ways to protect their customers from them now. I hope that this helps and anything that I've said that is inaccurate will be pointed out by someone who knows more.

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Yes we do need TDS-4 at all as time will show once it's there.
    Fortunately we're not made happy with all stories and visions and other promotions, just wait and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.