Do we actually need Web protection module of AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 123blackjack, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123blackjack

123blackjack Registered Member

I have always felt that WEB protection module slowed down my browsing. Since we already have the realtime fs module running, do we actually need web protection module of the av.

Current setup :

Windows 8.1
    Realtime : Avira 2014
    on demand : MBAM

COuld you pls advise anything more is required. Also when i installed avira , did i actually reduce my protection as Win Def contains N/W inspection module which the avira doesnt have.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I wouldn't be without the web protection module in any Av solution I ran. I've seen posts by experts (although not recently) from more than one Av provider stating reasons as to why it is a good feature to have.

3. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I'd rather have malware blocked in the browser rather than wait for it to touch my system at all.

4. imdb

imdb Registered Member

this has been discussed countless times on wilders. if you do a search, you'll find interesting & useful threads to read addressing this issue.

5. guest

guest Guest

I'm going to go against the flow here, but IMO it isn't really needed. The browsers already have some sort of malware protection by default, and there are extensions like NoScript. In the end, it's only a matter of preferences.

6. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I consider it extended insurance coverage, and I would rather have too much coverage than just adequate, or too little.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have been using Avira without web protection for long periods of time in the past for the very reason that you mention in your post, a feeling of loss of browsing speed. However with version 13 and 14 I've noticed no difference whatsoever in browsing performance therefore I use Avira with everything turned on.

It remains to be seen how is Avira behaving with the latest update to Windows 8.1, if you experience any slow down, it might be due to Win 8.1.

Consider that I tried unsuccessfully to update to Win 8.1, and it didn't work as the AMD graphic card drivers of my computer have not been updated yet...
    I would expect lots of programs having problems with Win 8.1.

As for increased security using web protection, it is another layer and one that can detect suspicious websites before executing anything.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  8. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Exactly, keeping malicious agents off of your system should be your first priority. How certain can you be that your anti-virus successfully removed and cleaned up the damaged? My policy has always been to do a complete reformat and clean install of the operating system. About a year, a friend of mine had an infection that he couldn't eliminate despite reformatting and reinstalling Windows. He decided to get a new computer and supplemented the costs by reselling hardware from his old machine on e-bay. Lesson learned, work to prevent infection as much as possible and don't forget infections don't just come over the internet.

9. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

EXACTLY! :argh:

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

11. anon

anon Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2167621&postcount=3

12. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

If you don't like Avira's Web Protection feature, you could always install K9 Web Protection as the alternative, Which in my opinion is a good companion to any AV, including Avira.

13. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

There are different kinds of web protection.

Stream scanning can slow you down. You can see this in the recent Kaspersky products and those of other vendors who utilize this technique. Simple blacklisting of dangerous websites in combination with monitoring the browser's activities and alerting you of suspicious behaviour can achieve the same protection. See Emsisofts behaviour blocker for that.

14. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I doubt most vendors include it just to wind up their users by slowing browsing slightly,the folk who actually know about these things,the developers,must think they are needed otherwise they wouldn't include it

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

The web protection module of an AV is absolutely necessary for the reason Brandonn2010 mentioned.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I have been in discussions about it several times and I don't feel like doing it again so Short answer..YES.

17. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

^^This

18. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

IMHO you shouldn't go "surfing" without any kind of web protection ;)

19. siketa

siketa Registered Member

It is necessary today but not always as AV module.
    There are also:
    1) applications like K9 Web Protection
    2) DNS services like Norton, Sendori, Comodo...
    3) built-in blacklists in browsers

20. phyniks

phyniks Registered Member

I dont know about Avira,but regarding Avast,the webshield also catches scripts.so webshield can add some layers which fileshield lacks.
    Regards

21. guest

guest Guest

I'm confused. Are we talking about URL scanning feature in AVs or are we talking about web protection as an umbrella term? Because if it's the later, then firewalls are also included. o_O

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

You tell me, i've seen people say "web shield" "web filter" "web protection" "online protection" in different discussions, they are all generic terms. Like a .Gen threat detection.

Instead people should say more specific, http scanner, url blocker, ip blocker, etc etc.. as all AV's may have "web protection" in place, but what the web protection does is still what counts.

Does it scan website content in realtime when you visit websites using Sigs heuristics and cloud data, or is it only a blacklist that blocks access to the whole website.

23. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

It depends on your protection scheme. I use it because it fits with my protection. My first layer is filtering at the DNS level then comes the web scannner. Then I have an anti-execute product backing that up. Lastly, I have backups. So for me the answer would be yes, because it fits nicely with my overall protection scheme. BTW, due to my machine specs and my internet speed, I have no noticeable lag. Howeve, if I were still gaming I might suspend it just to be sure.

24. Blueshoes

Blueshoes Registered Member

Spend the money and get a faster computer. Do you feel you can defend yourself in a war base skirmish with a pistol, but whine a rifle is too heavy.

25. guest

guest Guest

Who needs a rifle if we can set some booby traps and a gunship. :shifty:

But seriously, IMO that's not the answer. The problem is if the additional web scanner is really worth the resource that is being used. We don't use our computers just for security products.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.