Do Use Windows 10 Night Light?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Krusty, May 20, 2017.

?

Do Use Windows 10 Night Light?

1. Yes I do.

18 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. No I don't.

35 vote(s)
    60.3%
  3. Sometimes I do.

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I've never tried Night Light but have tonight and that got me thinking, how many use this feature, so I've created this poll.

If you do not use Windows 10 Creators Update this poll is NOT for you.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've never used it either. A few months back I read an article about f.lux (which esentially is the same as using Night Light), and decided to try it. At night time, when it adjusted the screen colours, I did not like the sudden change in colour, which in my opinon looked terrible due to the yellow tint, so I uninstalled it. I also got a simliar program a few days ago as a giveaway and also had the same issue.

I'm sure it's an excellent idea in theory, but I prefer my screen to look the way it was intended to look.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Yeah, it sure looks different. Normally I'd say, NOPE! I'll give it a chance for a day or three and decide whether I'll tolerate it long term or not.

4. guest

guest Guest

I do, simple and work as intended. No fancy stuff with it.

5. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

I use it.

In order for me not to be "shocked" by the new color every time it kicks in, I set the slider in the middle. And if I would still use my computer late at night or before going to sleep, I set the slider to the darker side. Of course, when I set the slide to more orange, the light in the room is already turned off (so the room is completely dark), which is the best way to use with the more orange light of Night Light.

6. rossnixon

rossnixon Registered Member

Using f.lux before updating to Creator's Update, and it is still running since then. Not sure if it is worth checking the Windows option instead.

7. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I have just enabled it. It'll be interesting to see if it switches instantly or gradually like f.lux.
    However generally, I don't use it.

8. guest

guest Guest

Instantly

9. Brian N

Yikes, turned it off again then. They really should give your eyes time to adjust.

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

In my case f.lux switched instantly. I was expecting it to be gradual, but this was not what happened. I presume I could have configured it to work gradually, but I didn't have a look at the settings.

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I do, although I have set the colour temperature manually as the default is too warm for my taste...

12. Brian N

Yep there's a setting for that.

13. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

I have not had a chance yet to try out the built-in Windows 10 Night Light feature. But after being reminded by this poll, I will give the feature a try later on tonight.

At the moment, I use a combination of Lightbulb (https://github.com/Tyrrrz/LightBulb) to deal with blue light reduction and Night Mode For Windows (http://floatoverflow.blogspot.com/2013/11/night-mode-for-windows.html) which is actually quite fantastic as it dims the entirety of the screen for late night work and this can go 100x darker in comparison to the 0% brightness level built into the hardware. This is a killer combination which I would have a difficult time getting rid of. But I may be able to drop Lightbulb and use the built-in Night Light for the blue light reduction.

14. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

My experience, too. :thumb:

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I wasn't aware of Night Mode for Windows, thanks! :thumb: I currently use the new f.lux beta which does a great job of warming the color in the evening, but doesn't make the screens dark enough for me.

16. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

No I do not use it.

17. hawki

hawki Registered Member

hawki does not use WIN CU, but because he is at his PC for so many hours/day for a large part of the day/night uses Gunnar Glasses, which perform a similar function as Nightlight.

The yellow tint does take some time to get used to, but after a while the difference in screen is less apparent -- I guess cuz you can get used to anything.

Light, and particulalrly blue light is not good at night, but too much artificial blue light at anytime ain't so good.

Any type of light is bad at night cuz it disturbs circadian rhythms, but blue light is particulalrly bad cuz it suppresses the secretion of melatonin, a brain-produced chemical that promotes healthful sleep.

But at any time, blue light on a monitor decreases contrast which, depending upon how many hours you use a PC, can lead to eye strain and over time can possibly cause damaged retinal cells resulting in age-related macular degeneration.

In light of the above, perhaps a yellow tint for part of the day/night is worth the trade-off.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  18. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Me too. I changed to make it less warm.

19. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

No, but thanks to it, I have started to use f.flux, so I sort of appreciate it. :)

20. boredog

boredog Registered Member

No I don"t use it. Instead I took the case off my router and there is a hidden LED that is white and almost too bright. It keeps my room lit up plenty.;)
    Plus it keeps my router cool as a sweet summer breeze.

21. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

YES, YES, YES! I can now dim the display on this laptop for the first time since I installed Win10 the first day it was officially launched.

@WildByDesign , you're the man! :thumb:

It is only using 6.6 MB of RAM too. Very cool! :cool:

23. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

@Krusty You're welcome. I am very happy to hear that the program is beneficial for you as well. My assumption is that, for whatever reason, the drivers for your machine on that version of Windows does not support changing the brightness/dim on a hardware level. So the good thing here at least is this program will hlp you do that. Not only that, but it will also save energy as well. :thumb:

24. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I had the same problem on one of my laptops which had something to do with the display drivers. It was happening upgrading to Windows 10 the first time and again with the anniversary update. The solution to the problem was a clean install of Win 10, albeit I cannot control anymore the brightness range from the keyboard, it must be done from Settings/System/Display. Anyway it is good to know the program introduced by WildByDesign...

25. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I clean installed that machine plenty of times but I still can't change brightness.

One thing bugs me slightly about this program is I have it set to start with Windows and it starts at 60%, which is OK at night but a bit too dark for day.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.