Do now uses Firefox 4?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Just wondering if many already have tried Firefox 4 as this was still a beta version. Just curious if there are any bug/s or addons problems on this version.

Did it perform on your pc flawlessly ...no problemo...more better than version 3's?

Can I just install it without uninstalling the current firefox I am using, and it upgrades ok?

2. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Works fine here. Some add-ons had issues initially but new versions have ironed out any problems. Still use Chrome though as my primary browser.

3. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I had two main problems with FF 4 betas 6,7,8 – both related to the hardware acceleration:

When I “printed” a text page to PDF, the PDF created was always a graphic PDF, very big and non-searchable. This is important for me because I frequently save financial records and other documents to PDF, and I want them to be small and searchable. The problem could be solved by disabling the acceleration before printing to PDF, but this was not practical.

I also had very frequent crashes (resets) of the NVIDIA driver. This was perhaps a card-related problem, was solved after I changed the driver configuration so that the graphics card was in full power mode whenever FF was running (that is, always). Now in Chrome the card runs well with the default configuration, the power mode is changed automatically according to the load, as it should be.

4. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

Haven't really put any of the betas through their paces. One or two day test drives or whatever. None of the ones I've used (6, 7, and 8 ) could hold my interest very long. Probably the speed.

The majority of the add-ons haven't been updated to support the v4 betas. Yes, you can install it alongside v3.6.x. It does it by default if I remember correctly.

5. sweater

I thought firefox 4 beta would just upgrade my existing firefox browser but I was a little bit surprised that it just install on itself. Now I have 2 Firefox browsers on my pc. Hhmmn....but it's ok.

Firefox 4 beta looks a little bit "ordinary" simple but one thing I've noticed immediately was obviously its speed in surfing the net. Gosh...when it becomes final..I could not just imagined how fast it is.

But I was dismayed that most of the addons are incompatible. Hope it'll be work out in their final release. For Firefox developer...good job and more power to all of you. :cool: ;)

6. sweater

I was wondering if there is still a need to "touch" this setting.

What difference will it make if I checked the Override automatic cache management? More surfing speed?

Attached Files:

7. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

You can set it your self but remember default is no longer 50mb as it has been for years but 250mb. Much has changed in 4 so don't find an old and probably even for 3.x stupid tweaking guide for Firefox. There is a knowledgebase for Firefox http://kb.mozillazine.org/Knowledge_Base where you can look stuff up but I doubt it is updated for this new version. Changes have taken place during betas so I guess they wait until final is out before defining too much.

History handlilng like how many days to keep entries is gone btw. http://blog.bonardo.net/2010/01/20/places-got-async-expiration now also based on hardware detection.

You can check caches, or those they want you to see, by going to about:cache Seems like memory cache is mainly used for items not allowed for disk caching. Does not fill up as you browse, far from it but could change as well.

8. guest

guest Guest

Firefox 4 simply doesn't perform well in old computers.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The beta installs in a separate directory because it is considered "unstable". Mozilla doesn't want the current stable version to be replaced by the beta causing some people to have a poor experience because of problems with add-ons, etc.

Regarding incompatible add-ons/extensions in many cases they still work fine. You can disable compatibility checking in the beta and test each extension yourself to see if it works. Two of my favorites are Readability and Grab & Drag - they both work fine but are seen as incompatible in beta 8. The strength of Firefox is the ability to customize it - no other browser comes close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.