Do I need WindowsXP-KB828741-x86-ENU.EXE?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by jayzzz, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

According to Belarc Advisor, something happened to my WindowsXP-KB828741-x86-ENU.EXE update. I read about it, and it does sound like my XPHome should have it. I say that based on my understanding of terminology rather than any clue about underlying technology.

I D/L'd & saved it. When I opened it to reinstall, the first words I read were about backing-up my system. I wondered if it was gonna be more trouble than it's worth and cancelled the process.

M$N didn't offer it for me to install the other day when I got priority updates. They supposedly checked to see what my computer needed.

I'd be grateful for advice on how to see whether I do have it (by some other name it evolved to) don't have it, do or don't want it, etc. The words describing what it is/does go over my head. :doubt:

2. NICK ADSL UK

NICK ADSL UK Administrator

Hi jayzzz :)
    This update relates to This article
    I myself do not have this update listed on my computer so it may mean that you have some additional software that i do not have or the reason you do not have it is because you don't need it. It is always best to trust the Microsoft update site for any updates you may need

3. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Thank you for the link. :)

I read that, and found even more details about it earlier using Google. The problem isn't a lack of reading; it's my lack of understanding the technology I'm reading about or being able to project potential repercussions of my decisions.

I'm in the bottom tier of this group's membership when it comes to understanding my computer, my software, & the Internet. Sometimes, I need a "translator" or advice on the right way to proceed. My own best guesswork, even after reading, often isn't good enough!

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Considering it was a Critical update for RPC/DCOM....I would most definetly want it installed on my box. In looking at the Microsoft Bulletins page....I do not see any Critical updates concerning RPC/DCOM....other than all the way back to April 2004....the one that Belarc says has problems.

5. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

:) Gracias! I did as you suggested and had no problems. When Micro$oft checks the updates for my computer, it's less comprehensive than I'd assumed.

It was fast & didn't even require a reboot to complete. I'll run Belarc regularly from now on. WinPatrol watches for changes, but apparently not at that level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.