Do I Need Threatfire With Comodo V3?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TerryWood, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Advice please

I have Win XPSP2 SafeSpace + Comodo v3 +Avast +Dropmyrights.

Since comodo has a fully fledged HIPS (which I use), do you think I need Threatfire.

I am anxious to reduce resource useage and unnecessary armour

Thanks for your help

2. davidw_426

davidw_426 Registered Member

My personal opinion is if Comodo works well for you, you're pretty well protected and I don't see a need for Threatfire (both HIPS together may drive you nuts)

3. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

If you already use a program that warns you about (almost) EVERY action that a process tries to perform (Comodo), it stands to reason therefore you won't need one that selectively tries to identify and warn you ONLY about malicious actions (ThreatFire), assuming you're able to properly respond to Comodo's prompts.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

TerryWood,

You are getting a mixed bag answer.

A. Theoretically
    NO, you do not need TF, so I fully agree with Solcroft

B. In practise
    Since you do not seem to know that you can obtain the same effects with Comodo's Defense+ as drop my rights, I am wondering what protection you are really getting out of Defense+. So learn how to use D+ and you can also get rid of drop my rights (for faster start of internet facing programs). I am guessing you use drop my rights for normal surfing and SafeSpace for the real dodgy surfing.

Simularity of security soft and motor racing
    I occasionally race on a motorbike. It has only 100 HP on the rear wheel, but a nice high torque and low weight. I admit I have not ended first in the amateur races, but always ended up in the first six, beating guys on bikes with 167, 174, 181 and sometimes more horse power. I know my bike is weaker (like fi the defense of TF compared), but it drives so easy I get faster laptimes than those other guys with stronger machines (e.g. D+). Problem is in the amateur class we are driving, we do not have the skilss for good solid two wheel skids (like Rossi, Stoner or the Kentucky Kid). So with my limited skills (e.g. safety knowledge) the weaker bike actually performs better, because bike and driver are a good match. I think the same applied to D+. Its capabilities are not the subject of discussion, just the driving skills of the (wo)man behind the keyboard.

Regards Kees

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,

TF will not drive you nuts with lots of pop ups, whereas CPF 3 with Defense+ will certainly produce tons of alerts(at least initially).

If the presence of both does not slow down your system, IMO, it is a wise choice to keep both (free and excellent, plus covering from different angles).

TF is probably the ONLY free behaviour blocker on market. Others are charging US$ 29.95-$39.95/year. such as AB, PRFC and Mamutu( oh, a bit OT).

6. sunking

sunking Registered Member

Running programs with user priviliges is ALWAYS a good thing no matter what security software is in effect furthermore slow down by dropmyrights is absolutely negligible. Even better is a user account with SuDown.

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Look at what D+ protects, you can obtain same effect as dropmyright. With Sudown I would not use D+ at all, so agree

Regards

8. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Thanks for the responses. I think we can say that its "you pays your money ant takes your choice" from reading the replies

Regards

Terry

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Do u need DMRs with SafeSpace, I guess NOT. Am I true?

10. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yes, SafeSpace has the option to limit rights alongside sandboxing.

11. interact

interact Registered Member

I would recommend you only use Comodo V3 with the "Defense+ security level" disabled. The sheer amount of pop-ups caused by Comodo V3 will drive most sane people crazy!

~interact

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.