Do I need Symantec Redirector Update?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by frizzie, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frizzie

frizzie Registered Member

Hello Randy:

I could not find the original post to which you replied. I am running a Dell PentII/400 with win98se. I have been using Norton's Systemworks and Personal Firewall for years without a hitch. In fact, without it, this old computer (going on 6 years) would have died a long time ago.

On May 18, 2005 (prior to manually running Norton's anti virus liveupdate) I made a back up of my C drive. When I ran liveupdate, redirector was listed. I gave it the go ahead to d/l and install. Everything seemed fine until the computer had to be restarted. During the restart, I heard a loud TWANG and then a GURGLE and was presented with a black screen with no cursor. I tried restarting in safe mode -- same thing. I had to restore the backup. I've tried this 3 separate times and got the same reaction.

In reading the instructions on the Symantic web site, I was POed that they would suggest an uninstall and reinstall or that I d/l and install a windows cleanup program. I'm not gonna do that! Now when redirector shows up in the liveupdate window, I uncheck it. Other updates to the firewall and virus definitions seem to be working just fine.

My question is -- Do I really need the redirector update?

Thanx

-frizz

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Hello frizz, I apologize for my delay in noticing and responding to your question; it had gotten moved here from Updates before I even noticed it. I sent you a long PM giving my advice in answer to your inquiry here. ;)

Good Luck and Be Encouraged,
    Hang in There My Friend,
    Warmly, Lord Bless, Ran

3. kleer51

kleer51 Guest

I'm afraid this answer was not particularly helpful to those of us browsing the internet asking the exact self-same question - should I install this unannounced software or not?

4. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Sorry that it was private reply {that was 3.5 months ago!}; as I recall I was suggesting to frizzie that if his system for some strange reason could not accept that LiveUpdate {the Symantec Redirector, which is a common, routine type of thing on LU} -- then he could probably just ignore it. But that isn't the general advice I would give EVERYONE, hence my private response. My public opinion would be to go ahead and get everything available via LiveUpdate unless for some odd reason you simply cannot do that without major problems such as what frizzie encountered. It is always best {preferred} to run LU until it says there are no more updates, if you can do that. ;)

5. zcv

zcv Registered Member

FWIW:

When I was running NAV2002, until I replaced it with NAV2005, I didn't bother with the redirector updates for the following reasons:

Sometime in 2004, there began a series of problems around this issue which seemed mainly to affect NIS and it did affect some NAV installations as well, especially NAV2003. I didn't enable LU anyway, and the redirector updates LU components. Randy will probably have better recall of this then I do.

I never had any issues not updating redirector - I just left it sitting there.

Regards - Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.