Do I need SpywareGuard? Its activity log is empty!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by tiluid, Nov 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tiluid

tiluid Registered Member

The activity log of SpywareGuard is empty. Does it mean that SG doesn't do anything? Does it work? Is it compatible with Mozilla FireFox?
    Moreover in the options TAB the check box for "Enable Download Protection" keeps un-checking itself!
    Any ideas?!

Sincerely yours, Tiluid!

2. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

How long have you had SpywareGuard installed?

If the log is empty then it hasn't detected any installation attempts since you installed SG. The program works quite well according to my personal experience. I only have three suspected items on my log list - two of which I allowed.

What browser you are using should have no effect on SG doing its job; read about SG here.

You may found, as I have, that with SWB in place and using Firefox there are far less things getting far enough for SG to have to step in and stop them. My SG was much more active on a previous install before I discovered Proxo and Firefox.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I have to agree with Detox -- an empty log simply means either you never encountered any threats at all (unlikely), or that (more likely) any threats you did encounter were caught by something else before they even got to SG.

My log's still empty after something like a year and a half with SG -- and that's without even a "real" firewall (I use just the XP-SP2 one), plus I use the "dreaded" IE-6 as my only browser. But SB plus a-v for resident protection (OK, SB's not really resident, but because of the way it works it's sort-of-resident), plus periodic scans with other things, plus of course common sense plus luck, have worked quite nicely so far.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Speaking of what's in my log - and a good show as to the heuristic aspect - one is a BHO for Acrobat reader - I kept it - and another is a BHO for Spybot S&D which I also kept.

Another was something the Kensington mouse I bought tried to install (removed) - so I ditched their software (never shoulda tried it to begin with, really).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.