Do I need SpywareBlaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Buddel, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddel

Buddel Guest

Do I need SpywareBlaster if ActiveX, all this Java stuff and Active Scripting are permanently disabled in my Internet Explorer 6?

2. pin

pin Registered Member

here's what JC told me:

"SpywareBlaster's protection is system-wide - not just related to Internet Explorer (although that is where you will find the protection most useful).

For example, SpywareBlaster can disable much ActiveX-based spyware should it get installed as a "bundled bonus" with another app (as an example). (SpywareBlaster's ActiveX blocks apply globally.)

Best regards,

-Javacool"

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=11776threadid=11776

3. Buddel

Buddel Guest

Thanks your help, pin.

Javacool wrote "SpywareBlaster can disable much ActiveX-based spyware."

So if I don't use ActiveX, I don't need SpywareBlaster, right?

4. rusty-412

rusty-412 Registered Member

I think that EVERYONE needs SpywareBlaster. Plus SpywareBlaster is about 1 MB, you won't be loosing that much space. Plus SpywareBlaster blocks tracking cookies, which I think that everyone would like being blocked, for their own privacy.

5. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Other software can still install bundled ActiveX spyware controls. With SpywareBlaster, many of them would be disabled. Plus, security vulnerabilities in IE could always let ActiveX through.

(FYI, SpywareBlaster doesn't have to run in the background to provide protection, so you won't lose any resources.)

Best regards,

-Javacool

6. Buddel

Buddel Guest

Thanks a lot for your replies. The thing is that I don’t want to install
    more programs than is really necessary - no matter whether I may lose
    resources or not. If ActiveX is never enabled, it would be nonsense to
    install a program that can block ActiveX-based crap.

BUT: Javacool is right when he says that some ActiveX stuff can get through because of all the security vulnerabilities in IE. Since I’m too lazy to install a browser with fewer vulnerabilities, I do think I should have a look at SpywareBlaster. Again, thank you very much your help.

7. hans

hans Registered Member

:D i noticed that after i installed spyware blaster and spybot search and destroy,that i have about a third more ram available,now thats cool :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.