Do I need RSS Installshield?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by innerpeace, Dec 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, I'm getting ready to re-install Windows and one of the programs on my driver and app cd is "RSS Installshield eM March 31 2005 version". Is this an essential program? I think it's from Macrovision, but I'm not clear on what it does.

Thanks,
    innerpeace

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

No, you do not need it.

3. innerpeace

What does it do? Is it for copy protection?

4. AKAJohnDoe

Well, I presume that you do not need it, since you do not know what it is!

As InstallShield is a deployment/packaging tool, this is most likely an RSS feed generator for publishing info associated with deployments.

5. innerpeace

And what does that mean and why is it on an OEM emachines from Wal-Mart? And by the way, I don't know what a lot of things are. That's what forums are for ;). I have an OEM XP home install and this thing came with it. I also have a hidden folder in "C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information" that has 21 folders with random numbers and letters. When I look in each of the folders, the setup.ini file has info about different programs and drivers on my computer. Not all of them though.

I don't care either way if I re-install it. I'm just trying to make an informed decision as to the possible consequences of not having it installed. Personally, I would rather avoid anything having to do with Macrovision.

Also, for clarity I made my own XP install disk to avoid the OEM junk. I'm only using my recovery driver and apps cd's to get what I need to install later after my XP re-installation. InstallShield is the only one on the cd I'm not familiar with.

Here's an example of 1 of the .ini files. I x'd out product number.

[Startup]
    AppName=Dirt Track Racing 2
    ProductGUID=xxxxx-xxxx-xxx-xxx-xxxx
    Engine=0
    Copy=1
    Source=0
    [Languages]
    Default=0x0009
    count=1
    key0=0x0009

Attached Files:

6. AKAJohnDoe

Installshield is a program for packaging the installation of programs. It is commonly used by vendors to automate the installation (and uninstall) of their programs. You likely have a number of entries associated with Installshield; probably at least as many as there are programs that were installed under the auspices of Installshield.

You probably do not want to remove everything associated with Macrovision nor Installshield.

It is kind of useful.

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi IP,

After a typical xp oem reinstall there are several known vacancies within devmgmt contained aboard my utilities cd. Not a biggie as initial shortcoming's; video, touchpad, are quickly installed. If you're functional where navigation's concerned, you shouldn't have any problem's, especially if they're not immediately required.

PS - As JohnDoe remarked, not essential (me think's) for the time being.

GF

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  8. innerpeace

Thanks for the link AKAJohnDoe and simple explanation. From the link I was able to get to the links below which made a little more sense to me. I'm assuming I have the consumer version and I was able to verify what engine I have.

http://consumer.installshield.com/default.asp
    http://consumer.installshield.com/about.asp

GlobalForce
    When I reinstall, I'm not going to install InstallShield and see how it goes. I guess I will find out if I need it when I install the 21 programs/drivers listed in that folder.

When I made my XP cd, I tested it by installing on my ext. HDD. Everything seemed to work and I installed the other drivers I had and 1 program (Works 8.0) as a test. I think I'm about ready :).

9. AKAJohnDoe

You will eventually want to use InstallShield; however, it will make itself known as to any missing components at that time. ;)

10. innerpeace

I sorta figured that, but I wasn't sure lol. One last question. Does the installshield program come with some of the programs or game cd's I have? If it does, then I will install it that way. If not, I will use the version that came with my computer.

11. AKAJohnDoe

I honestly don't know. I have never installed it myself, so I presume that it is either pre-packaged into Windows, or is built into the run-time of every package that uses it so it has what it needs as part of the package. I suppose if one were actually building packages for deployment it would have to be actually installed, but most folks don't do that as individuals, anyway.

12. innerpeace

Thanks for your reply. I'll try without installing it and see what my programs say. I'll also have to check my new XP installation and see if it's there automatically. I will update this thread after I install everything and make image's along the way. I'm also going to have to wait until this snow storm with gusty wind is over :rolleyes: .

Thank you,
    innerpeace

13. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.