Do I need PG?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Jeremy2, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremy2

Jeremy2 Registered Member

I'm thinking about including PG on my security suite, but I'm a bit confused how this can be handled, and if it will not conflict with my already installed software.

I'm already running Prevx, and Outpost, with the component controle feature,.
    The first think that made me think about PG, is that I got my firewall, and my AV shotdown, while I was connected.

Regards

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Jermey2 and welcome,

Many users use ProcessGuard to protect their important processes, epecially AV, AT & firewalls.
    I am not sure if the latest PrevX has kernel mode protection but I do know that it much more of a resource hog than ProcessGuard.
    Notok may reply to this thread as he is a PrevX beta tester I believe and may be able to give you specific guidance.

HTH and enjoy your weekend. Pilli

3. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Although Prevx does run at a low level, it doesn't protect itself as well as PG can. I have not had any compatibility issues with PG and Prevx together, and enjoy running both. As far as resources, Prevx doesn't use a lot of memory or CPU, however I've recently discovered it's buffer overflow protection can slow things down because it checks things before they are allowed access to memory. It's up to you, of course, to decide whether the performance hit is worth the protection or not, but keep in mind that the only REAL buffer overflow protection requires SP2 and a processor that has the NX feature (which is only the AMD 64bit processors right now.) PG's Physical Memory protection is also far more comprehensive than Prevx', I've seen plenty of alerts from PG on that, but never with Prevx.

I say go for both if you can, you won't be disappointed.. together they cover a LOT of ground :)

4. Jeremy2

Thanks for the clarification between prevx and PG.
    What about the interaction between the component controle feature of outpost, and PG.
    Can I just disable the feature on outpost, and make PG take care of it?

5. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Yep, many people have a firewall, an anti-virus, etc etc, but aren't aware that their security programs can be effectively rendered useless if a trojan chooses to terminate/destroy them (or subtly modify them so that changes aren't known to the user) - security software can only do its job when its running, and indeed there are many trojans with anti-AV/anti-AT capabilities. ProcessGuard is the security layer that secures other security layers (including firewalls, anti-virus etc), so ProcessGuard as one program is all you need to protect all of your other programs from such attacks (not to mention the various other attacks it helps prevent such as password stealing, rootkit infection, Windows File Protection attacks, and so on) :)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Jeremy2,

I run PG with OP and have had no problems with Component Control (normal level) and Open Process Control enabled.

Nick

7. Jeremy2

If I do disable both component Control, and Open Process Control in Outpost, as I think it's not his job, Will PG take care of this two functionnality?

8. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Wayne,
    Could you provide a bit more information on the mechanisms that PG uses to protect against Windows File Protection attacks ?

From the little research I have done so far, it seems like there is the "old" way of doing it that PG protects from, a newer (and fairly lame) way of doing it by duplicating filedescriptors from winlogon and by using API's to work in the same way as Windows Update. See this thread for more info

I'd be really happy to hear that PG protects against all 3

Thanks

NB: I don't know of anything else that protects against Windows File Protection attacks either, so PG is ahead of the pack IMO....

9. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Please see my replies to the questions you asked in the various threads. :)

10. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Jason,
    I didn't see you make mention of the API in your answers...
    I'll go and check again

[Edit: It looks like the use of the API's is still an outstanding question, see here where I'm asking specifically about the API method (to emulate what windows update does) ...]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.