Do I need PG if I have ZoneAlarm PRO?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Live, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Live

Live Guest

Do I Need PG if I have ZoneAlarm PRO 6? There is any kind of conflicts using both?

2. jim28277

jim28277 Registered Member

1..Yes
    2..No

3. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hi, Live. Re:

1) I agree with jim 28277 that you do need ZA Pro, as my non-techie take on this is that the fw will attempt to stop incoming nasties & to alert you to unauthorised outbound traffic, while PG will protect from things like keyloggers and other trojan-like behaviour.

2) I currently have ZA Pro 5.5.094.000 and PG 3.150 full running together side-by-side without problem. When I upgraded to ZA Pro 6, there was no conflict with PG that I could discover, but I uninstalled ZA Pro 6 after the well-documented problems that are caused by upgrading (rather than installing after a complete uninstall; I've no probs doing a complete uninstall of v 5.5, but I want to be sure that they have a v 6 which is definitely well bedded-in before I install it).

I'm sure that you won't have any conflicts between the two (having said that - wasn't there an idea that people with McAfee AV, which I do, might be the ones most affected by the upgrade problem? You no doubt have a worry-free ZA Pro 6 install.). Good Luck.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I had no conflicts, but also had to leave ZA after install problems with 6. I am now running Outpost Pro firewall and again no conflicts with either ProcessGuard (paid version), RegDefend, WormGuard or Kaspersky AV.

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I haven't installed ZAP 6 yet, but from what I read in the documentation, ZAP 6 does provide anti-executable protection, similar to PG, but it doesn't appear to allow users to "fine tune" their alerts, e.g. allow or disallow service/driver installations. There are other things that PG does that ZAP 6 does not do, e.g., process protection, so I guess whether or not a user wants to run both depends upon the nature of security he/she is looking for. There is overlap, but there are also things that PG does that ZAP 6 does not do - and vice-versa.

Regards,
    Rich

6. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

USE Processguard!
    ZA Full good.

No Conflict between them!

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

If I give apps the ability to install global hooks and drivers in ZA Pro, will PG still alert me? I think I might need the full version of PG after all, however a bit more control would be nice, like for example the ability to block individual hooks (and drivers?).

Because at the moment I have a problem with ZA, if I give an app full rights it can do anything on the system and that´s not a good thing. But PG has the same problem, I mean if you allow apps to install hooks it can install as many hooks as it wants. :doubt:

OT:

I don want to start separate threads so 2 questions:

1 When will PG support "alert windows", with that I don´t mean the balloon alerts that depend on the Windows OS.
    2 When will DiamondCS Autostart Guard be released?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.