Do I need PG if I have ZoneAlarm PRO?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Live, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Live

Live Guest

Do I Need PG if I have ZoneAlarm PRO 6? There is any kind of conflicts using both?

2. jim28277

jim28277 Registered Member

1..Yes
    2..No

3. kwesi

kwesi Registered Member

Hi, Live. Re:

1) I agree with jim 28277 that you do need ZA Pro, as my non-techie take on this is that the fw will attempt to stop incoming nasties & to alert you to unauthorised outbound traffic, while PG will protect from things like keyloggers and other trojan-like behaviour.

2) I currently have ZA Pro 5.5.094.000 and PG 3.150 full running together side-by-side without problem. When I upgraded to ZA Pro 6, there was no conflict with PG that I could discover, but I uninstalled ZA Pro 6 after the well-documented problems that are caused by upgrading (rather than installing after a complete uninstall; I've no probs doing a complete uninstall of v 5.5, but I want to be sure that they have a v 6 which is definitely well bedded-in before I install it).

I'm sure that you won't have any conflicts between the two (having said that - wasn't there an idea that people with McAfee AV, which I do, might be the ones most affected by the upgrade problem? You no doubt have a worry-free ZA Pro 6 install.). Good Luck.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  4. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I had no conflicts, but also had to leave ZA after install problems with 6. I am now running Outpost Pro firewall and again no conflicts with either ProcessGuard (paid version), RegDefend, WormGuard or Kaspersky AV.

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I haven't installed ZAP 6 yet, but from what I read in the documentation, ZAP 6 does provide anti-executable protection, similar to PG, but it doesn't appear to allow users to "fine tune" their alerts, e.g. allow or disallow service/driver installations. There are other things that PG does that ZAP 6 does not do, e.g., process protection, so I guess whether or not a user wants to run both depends upon the nature of security he/she is looking for. There is overlap, but there are also things that PG does that ZAP 6 does not do - and vice-versa.

Regards,
    Rich

6. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

USE Processguard!
    ZA Full good.

No Conflict between them!

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

If I give apps the ability to install global hooks and drivers in ZA Pro, will PG still alert me? I think I might need the full version of PG after all, however a bit more control would be nice, like for example the ability to block individual hooks (and drivers?).

Because at the moment I have a problem with ZA, if I give an app full rights it can do anything on the system and that´s not a good thing. But PG has the same problem, I mean if you allow apps to install hooks it can install as many hooks as it wants. :doubt:

OT:

I don want to start separate threads so 2 questions:

1 When will PG support "alert windows", with that I don´t mean the balloon alerts that depend on the Windows OS.
    2 When will DiamondCS Autostart Guard be released?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.