Do i need IE Spyad,AGNIS & HOSTS file.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonfer if you use stand alone antispyware products like MS Antispyware, Spybot in addition to firewall and AV, do you still need following applications,

IE Spyad
    HOSTS file
    AGNIS

In my opinion, it is just a bit of rewriting over the text you have alraedy written. Am I right?

2. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I am not a techno geek, I am just an ordinary surfer. :cool:

For spyware protections..I have SpywareBlaster, Spybot S&D, IE-SpyAd2, Ewido, Ad-Aware SE Personal, A2-Square, SafeXP, etc...:D

I don't use AGNIS or Hosts file. :D

Maybe, the others techno experts will give you more advice bout this. ;)

Check this attachment from www.optimizeguides.com :cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I would use one as a safeguard. I do on all of my home machines as well. It' can't hurt, but it's a personal preference. It also depends on what types of sites you go to.

If you are a pretty safe surfer than no. If you visit the dark places on the internet, then a HOSTS file may be for you.

Good luck.

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that the Hosts file a nice protection to add...

I use the HostsMan with the MVPS hosts file, and its HTTP Server is a great feature that tells you when a site is blocked by the hosts...

And this Hosts file is more than sufficient...

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

from the same person who brings us the firefox myths, windows xp requirement myths etc. :cautious: :gack: :ouch:
    i also use HostsMan, but i have it set to download MVPS Hosts. Mike's Hosts, and Block Adverts.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Does IE Spyad is necessary,after I have immunized the IE by Spybot already.
    Infact I use SiteHound toolbar that will warn you before you go to a bad site so after that IE Spyad i think is not really needed.

7. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

They didn't have exactly the same sites to protect, so is up to you to decide if you need both...

8. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

1) NOPE !!!
    2) YEP !!!

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If with Spybot you are meaning it's Immunization feature(ActiveX, Cookie and Restricted Sites protection(approx 1,000 sites))....I would suggest you consider replacing that with IE-Spyad's Restricted Sites protection(aprrox 18,000 sites) and Spywareblasters ActiveX protection.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

And what about the ActiveX protection now offered by XP sp2 itself ?

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

sp2 activex protection is different. what it does (depending on ur settings for security zones) is prompt u when install activex.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

A bit convinced, sojust installed IESpyad yesterday,but i really still don,t want to go for HOSTS files.

13. yikes

yikes Registered Member

I merge all regularly updated hosts files into a single 54 000-line hosts file which blocks all known malware sites and servers. It works like a bomb.
    * The negative aspects of hosts files are often quoted. It originally appeared in Fred Langa's newsletter and robs users of a valuable security tool: all the mentioned negatives are easily solved.
    * If you use Firefox as main browser you will expose your system to malware each time you use IE. It is best to provide both browsers with extra protection.
    My hosts file and filter setup does that.
    * The perception that large hosts slows down browsing speed is a myth. The opposite is true: you will surf faster.
    You can read the details of my setup here:
    http://pctips.640pixels.com/articles/20/how-to-fight-spam-worms-trojans-and-other-malware.aspx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.