Do I need extra software alongside Avira PS 9?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Subgud, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Hi!

I am so lucky that i have licenses for both Avira premium security 9 and Gdata totalcare 2010. My question is noth what is the better one, but when I look at AV-comparatives lates and second latest test I see that both Avira and Gdata scores around 99.7% detection in their tests!

http://www.av-comparatives.org

So what I wonder is when theese two products detect almost anything out there, is it necessary to have any other program running alongside? Etc spyware doctor, spysweeper, SAS.. Avira and Gdata seem to take anything anyway so it it really necessary?

And yes, I only use one of them, they both is the suite with firewall and all the features. I dont need any opinion about they`re firewall! ;)

Edit: Link removed as per AV-Comparatives policy....Bubba

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2009
  2. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

Detection is good on both of those Applications, but nothing can detect everything.

You could try Threatfire as an additional layer of sercurity and it usually plays well with Anti-virus:

http://www.threatfire.com/

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes, 99.7% is a pretty good performance, but it's not 100% or 99.9 %. IMO there's no need for other scanners, you ought to think about recovery and virtualization/ISR. A good imaging program + a virtualizer/ISR would make your system 99.9% secure. Malware is one aspect of what can go wrong in a computer, there are also user's mistakes that can completely crash an OS, no scanner would help in such a situation.

4. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Subgud, IMHO you'll be more than fine with APSS or GDataTC alone.

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

put as many security apps on as you can fit on your PC:-that way it'll be full so no room for any malware!,seriously there is such a thing called common sense which,if used, along with what you have installed should be adequate,if you don't use it ,common sense,no amount of security will be enough!

6. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Well, these figures may be right in a test over a huge collection of malwares whom the vast majority is older than months or even years...

At a given time, facing the current active malwares, the reality is certainly closer to 50%, maybe 70% at the very best...

So do you need extra software? Maybe not. But you certainly need to secure you computer, balanced with the usage of your computer.

7. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

Avira is very good but like others have posted no solution is 100%. Adding DefenseWall, SandboxIE or GesWall will pretty much lock things down. It's also always good to have an image backup just in case.

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Could'nt agree more. :thumb:

9. webster

webster Registered Member

99.7% detection of the testbed, is not the same as a realworld scenario. In a realworld scenario Avira would probly not detect more than 60-70%, i think.

10. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies! It is helpfull for me!:thumb: :thumb:

And I got the answers I needed!

Thanks again!:thumb: :thumb:

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Run LUA, system wide DEP with boot.ini switch and Avira and you will be safe like my two year old PC on XPx64 running Avira.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.