Do I need anti-malware?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by nrestell, Jun 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nrestell

nrestell Registered Member

Hi,

I have decided to cut back on some of my running processes! I used to have Spyware Doctor (and SpySweeper before that) which both used to use up a large chunk of resources.

I currently have NIS2009 and PrevX 3.0 running. Do I need a dedicated anti-malware scanner? I was thinking of getting Mamutu (from bits-de-jours offer) and also do use Sandboxie when browsing/installing trial apps.

Do I need anything else? Should I get A-squared full instead of Mamutu (or is this overkill because of the AV aspect of it)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Neil

2. gery

gery Registered Member

with NIS and PREVX you are fine. don't over load the computer

3. fax

fax Registered Member

No, you don't. Its more than enough. :thumb:

Fax

4. nrestell

But should I go for a behavior blocker like Mamutu/Threatfire as an extra layer? Just in case? Or would a full HIPS like Malware Defender be better?

Maybe I am just being paranoid (!?!) but I don't feel I have enough with just NIS and PrevX.

Neil

5. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Prevx 3 is a behaviour blocker. Probably the best one available for home use on the market at this time.

I agree with the others. You have more than enough.

If you want another layer of protection, you could try Sandboxie or something like that. Or use Firefox.

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

If you have good common sense, having Norton and Prevx should be more than enough. Another scanner like A2 wont be that much more helpful. Its all diminishing returns. Just surf smart!

7. Retadpuss

Retadpuss Suspended Member

You have enough already. A HIPS like zemana or a sandbox - like sandboxie would add security if you feel you need it.

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I would strongly recommend using a good imaging setup.

For example: external harddrive (connect only to your computer when making an image or restoring one), good software, and something like a bootable CD to boot from when restoring an image. (With a bootable CD you need to have your system set to check the CD first at (re)boot, you can usually do that in the BIOS) And make sure that you have a KNOWN CLEAN IMAGE to restore if the need arises. (Preferably including one made after formatting your system, installing the drivers, Microsoft updates etc, but before the installation of security software - you'll never have to worry about leftovers of uninstalled security programs).

There are lots of imaging programs, I can't say which one is best. I use Acronis version 8, but I understand that the latest version(s) are more bloated and complicated. What I use is as simple as you can get: just make or restore an image of the entire harddrive (=system), no incremental images/backups, no MBR issues etc.

If you ever get infected you can just simply recover an image - whether it seems your antimalware software did completely clean the infections or if you're not sure - simply restore an image ! And it's also very good if you have to deal with a corrupted OS, which inevitably will happen over time.
    Of course you can also use that external harddrive to back up data. And before you restore an image: back up data if needed, restore image, scan data for infections, and you're good.

A good imaging setup is possibly the best thing you can have for your security. Some imaging software is free, some not, the external harddrive isn't, but IMO it's worth the money.

9. Someone

Someone Registered Member

As others have said common sense, safe surfing habits and image backups are all very important. Also I would suggest if you're using Internet Explorer or Adobe Reader to switch to alternate applications, as they're targeted less by malware. There are many Wilders folks who use common sense and no security apps and do not get infected, so with NIS and Prevx you are definitely safe.

10. nrestell

Thanks for all the advice! I have recently purchased Acronis 2009 and have a full backup in case of problems (I just want to prevent infection in the first place!).
    I have got Sandboxie too now and am getting to grips with it for all my surfing habits. Thanks go out to ssj100 for his Sandboxie Configuration thread! With that and NIS/PrevX combo I feel secure not to need anything else on-access.
    I will probably use something as an on-demand scanner just to satisfy my occasional paranoia!
    Many thanks! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.