Do I have enough security?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by snowboard, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowboard

snowboard Registered Member

Here are some of my apps:

BitDefender 8.0 Professional
    Trojan Hunter 4.2
    SpywareBlaster
    SpywareGuard
    Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3TX
    Ad-Aware SE Personal
    Bazooka
    IE 6.0 Sp1

Do I need to add some more ?

Or am I protected good?

Regards,

snowboard

2. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

3. You may want to switch to Firefox for your browser and Thunderbird for email...that would eliminate a lot of problems

You didn't mention a FW, there are several good free ones.

Also you may look into Process guard or Prevx free, seeing how you have registry protection already with BD.

4. You may want to switch to Firefox for your browser and Thunderbird for email...that would eliminate a lot of problems

Also you may look into Process guard or Prevx free, seeing how you have registry protection already with BD.

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi snowboard,

Based upon my own experiences with BitDefender and Trojan Hunter (your primary defenses), I would say that you have an an excellent first-line of defense at this time. If you so not have a software firewall, you might want to consider getting one (e.g. Sygate, ZoneAlarm).

Depending upon what you do with your system, there are ways to increase security, but every addition would provide only small incremental improvements. For example, I use:

1) Firefox as my browser
    2) ProcessGuard which allows me to authorize which programs that can run on my computer as well as preventing the installation of rootkits and keyloggers (and other processes that may request global hooks)
    3) WormGuard to protect me against malicious scripts/worms
    4) RegDefend (with additions) to protect my registry from unauthorized updates

The changes that a malicious malware will get by your primary defense is small, but it is possible. So it depends upon what you are looking for and how much resources you want to dedicate as to whether you wish to have any additional protection. There is plenty discussion on this forum concerning all of these products and others, so you can do a search if you are looking for something more.

Rich

6. snowboard

Is BitDefenders Firewall good?

Besides ZoneAlarm and Sygate is there any other good firewalls?

Thanks for the link. I found some apps that I could use :D

All of you suggested that I should change my browser to FireFox. But I have Internet Explorer set up well enough to protect me.

Regards,

snowboard

7. colorado13

colorado13 Registered Member

BitDefenders Firewall is not so good.
    Netveda(is free) or Look n Stop is other very good firewalls.
    For other questions about firewalls you should ask Arup from other firewalls section.
    Regards

Last edited: May 30, 2005
  8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Snowboard,

I don't know much about BitDefender's Firewall, but there are plenty of BitDefender users on this forum. Maybe if you post a direct question relative to BitDefender, you might get some feedback.

Cya around,
    Rich

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I would throw in another spyware scanner, too. Microsoft's would make an excellent addition to the ones you already have. I would also do some system hardening as this can save you from a lot of problems as well as increase performance :) See my sig for the hardening tools, and plenty of links to other software in the 2nd link (also a link to the free edition of Spyware Doctor if you'd rather, more links to be added soon.)

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Yes. If you are behind a router as it will provide outbound program control.

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I use BD 8.0 without a firewall, and am very pleased with it. My firewall is LooknStop. I am also pleased with that.

In addition to a software firewall, consider an on-demand AV scanner. I am using Mwavw escan V 4.4.7. It uses the Kaspersky engine, I hope I am stating that correctly, and updates from the KAV site. Not sure if this is really needed.

I would want a dedicated anti-spyware program. I have Counterspy, but others are good. Most have a free trial, so if one is not compatible with what you have on your computer you can try another. I do not know what Bazooka is, but maybe it is anti-spyware.

Considering what you have my first priority would be a software firewall.

Jerry

12. snowboard

Bazooka is a anti-spyware app. It is very small database 500+. And completes a scan in about 10 seconds. Nice tool to have. Check out more info about it HERE

BitDefender has a on-demand scanner i believe...

Im not a really big fan of microsoft products, But I will check out the links you pointed out thanks :)

Thanks once again, ill go to the firewall forum and see if any one has used BitDefenders firewall :D

Colorado,

Have you used BitDefender's firewall before?

If you did can you tell me why it is bad, in your opinion?

Regards,

snowboard

13. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Snowboard,

CounterSpy shares MS's signature base plus they have their own additions. Both are off-springs of the original Giant AS.

I don't use Giant that much anymore (it still is being updated via MS), because I have chosen a "pro-active" strategy for defending against spyware. For example, ProcessGuard defends against installation of keyloggers, rootkits (which can cloak spyware), and other trojans. RegDefend defends against unauthorized registry entries that are often required for spyware to install itself. Of course, a top-rated AV/AT (I use Kaspersky) also has good AS protection. WormGuard prevents scripts from executing that may contain malicious spyware.

So my attacking the problem at the source, it somewhat mitigates the need for AS. If you are concerned about things like keyloggers, you might want to go with the ProcessGuard approach, or there are other dedicated anti-keylogger packages. BitDefender will guard against those that it knows about.

Cya,
    Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.