Do any of you use the following programs anymore?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CJsDad, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I am still using Ad-aware (on-demand), spybot (on-demand) and spyware blaster.

Best regards,
    Atomas31

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Have used them all in the past but only still have Winpatrol.

Bit of overlap with ZAP so it doesnt run realtime.

Still it has a good startup manager and my main use of it is for enabling/disabling services.:)

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Only SpywareBlaster, that is great for prevention and doesn't consume resources...

4. Get

Get Guest

All of them, but scanning with Ad-Aware and Spybot has become a very very rare activity.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

To be hounest I never scan my PC with tools like Ad Aware or Spybot S&D anymore, I do not even use an AV/AT scanner at the moment, I rely completely on my real time defense + system hardening + System Monitoring tools (like Process Explorer, IceSword etc.).

I do use RootkitRevealer and Blacklight once in a while probably because I´m a bit paranoid. The thing is, AV/AT/AS tools never find a thing on my system so it´s a waste of time IMO, of course most experts will probably say that you still need to scan your system. :rolleyes:

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ive dumped all those programs. ive replaced adaware and spybot with ewido for on-demand scans.

spyware blaster/spywareguard are of little value as i use firefox.

and as for winpatrol, ive never really used it.

Last edited: May 21, 2006
  7. ronny

ronny Registered Member

I din't use Spybot S&D so often, BUT a few days ago i scanned my pc and it was the only one (i have Spyware Doctor, Spysweeper & Superantispyware, Lavasoft's Adware) who found "directx.exe". I checked if it wasn't a false positive, with VirusTotal. Nod32 and a few others (NOT kaspersky, McAfee, Symantec, eTrust or Ewido ; Panda found it suspicious i remember) detected it as a real danger. In the mean time Kaspersky & Ewido added detection for this, so they will detect it now.
    Conclusion: Spybot S&D is STAYING on my system! Am i glad i made a contribution to Patrick Kolla & his team.:)

8. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Whats the controversy with tea timer from the people who use Spybot S & D?

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Spybot is a dear friend.
    Winpatrol can be nice, but I don't use HIPS.
    SpywareBlaster is ok, SpywareGuard can be nice as well.
    Ad-Aware is ok too, but they did drop some definitions in the past, so you should not count on it standalone.
    My opinions...
    Mrk

10. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

u use all except spywareguard thing and the last one

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah i still use spybot s&d and adaware. I've always used them and they always seem to pick stuff up.

12. herbalist

herbalist Guest

I stopped using AAW as a service tool or installing it on others PCs when they started dropping detections. Still install SpyBot on some PCs if they want it.
    When I switched from IE6 to Mozilla, AAW and SpyBot weren't finding anything anymore. Haven't installed them again. Since installing SSM, I don't worry about adware/spyware and which vendor does or doesn't detect some of it.
    Never used Spyware Blaster/Guard.
    System Safety Monitor is much more powerful than WinPatrol. Installing WinPatrol would just be duplicating coverage I already have.
    Rick

13. spindoctor

spindoctor Registered Member

I still use them all and a lot more. But I don't do regular full system scans with them. I still use them because even the most sophisticated HIPS can be beat if you download something, assume it's malware free and let it install past all your defenses. I find scanners to still be necessary for checking anything and everything I download before install it. I have other uses for them as well.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I use only spyware blaster.

spyware guard, WinPatrol, Spybot and Adaware are replaced by SAS free and Ws Defender.

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I would never be without Spyware Blaster and Spybot. Of course, I do NOT use AdAware! I am stunned that any of you use it. For shame! :(

I don't like Ewido. It finds too many false positives just like Shavlik and many others. I only trust Spybot and Spyware Blaster. I seldom use IE but Spyware Blaster also sets the killbit for that horrible Flash.

I use ProcessGuard but what does that have to do with using anti-spyware applications? I use PG to control what calls out. The imitators are horrible and PG is not that good either. The fewer programs you use in the area of malware the better off you are. You need to patrol yourself and avoid IE and you don't need a bunch of other stuff.

16. RipVanTinkle

RipVanTinkle Registered Member

Still using all three of these here

Lavasoft Ad-Aware
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Spyware Blaster

old habits die hard I guess :)

17. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I still use Ad-Aware as part of my daily/weekly arsenal because of it being highly spoken of by lots of people. Plus, it seems to do a good job at detecting spyware. It may not get talked about too much because of it being easy to use, plus, I don't think that people have too many problems with it.

I recently posted a thread here at Wilders where I came to the conclusion that I didn't really need Spybot Search & Destroy and I uninstalled it(How necessary is Spybot's Tea Timer or Resident IE program?).

I still use SpywareBlaster because of it being so highly spoken of my so many people, but as far as SpywareGuard goes, I just start a thread about it this morning(SpywareGuard's Fast Real-Time Scanning engine and Browser Hijacking Protection) where I'm trying to determine the need for it.

And as far as WinPatrol goes, I just started using that program recently, however, I started a thread yesterday where I'm trying to get more clarity about that program(A question about SUPERAntispyware).

18. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Herbalist, what do you mean by that?

19. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I hate Real too, and in my opinion, RealAlternative is a piece of junk. I was having so many problems with it, I decided to just go ahead and uninstal it. As far as the barking dog goes, I like it. I think it sounds cute. LOL :D

20. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I still use SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard and WinParol Plus.
    Good programs.

21. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Though I agree with you about ad-aware, I may reconsider with Calamity Jane joining the lavasoft team.

22. herbalist

herbalist Guest

By AAW I meant Ad-aware. Sorry about the abbreviation. I used to install it on others PCs and used it as a service tool. Got very dissatisfied by how much was dropped from its detections. I no longer trust the company. It wasn't that long ago that Lavasoft closed their forums with no warning and left a lot of dedicated people wondering just what happened. This isn't the place to go into any details about this kind of thing. Nothing good would come from it. Suffice it to say, I no longer work at product specific forums. Only open ones where the helper can use the tools of their choice.
    Rick

23. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

One off-topic post removed.

A reminder of our TOS - bashing of products and/or vendors will not be tolerated, nor will we allow discussion of the personal lives of any member.

Please stay on topic and refrain from such posts.

24. eingram

eingram Registered Member

What is HIPS?

25. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.