DNS servers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by CJsDad, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Question for anyone who uses (Dyn, ClearCloud, Open, Norton, etc.)

Do you enter the primary and secondary DNS through your router or computer (TCP/IP)?
    Is there a difference or preference between doing it way or the other?
    Reason I'm asking is because I've read that some people say entering the DNS servers through your PC is better? If so then why is this the case?
    I've always used my router and never gave it a second thought until I read that article.
    Just curious as to what method the Wilders members prefer, router or computer but especially WHY you do it that way.
    Is it easier? Better? Safer? No difference? What?

2. vtol

vtol Registered Member

if no DNS specified in the computer and with DHCP it will use the DNS from the router. doubt there is difference in security whether the DNS is specified in the router or in the machine, unless there would be an attack between router and computer. hence when using a laptop on a public wifi not only the use of a VPN service is recommended but also setting the DNS on the computer, else the DNS of the public network provider would be utilized

Last edited: Dec 4, 2010
  3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

all computers on the network will use the same dns if you input the dns servers in the router so its the better option.

4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It really doesn't matter. But if you set it on the router, and have all connected machines set to acquire the DNS details automatically (from the router) it means it's easy to change, since you only need to change the details in the router, if you ever wish to switch.

However for me it's common practice to manually set the DNS settings on laptops that can be connected to the internet in different homes.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I got the OpenDNS IP's in the Router:thumb:

6. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

If you enter DNS (same or different) both in your router as well as laptop, then the one in the PC will have precedence over the one in the router. I like entering my DNS in the laptop, as then if I take the laptop to my office or friend's home and connect through their router, my laptop's DNS, having precedence, is the one used.

7. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Depends on router/firmware. Might have something like Tomato firmware has, google "Intercept DNS Port(UDP 53)”, "block port 53" should work too. Other dns server than the one router is told to use are blocked. If dns service is used to filer certain categories as part of famility safety it will be safer. There are probably ways of circumventing block but most will not know them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.