DNS Provider Quad9 moves to Switzerland

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by stapp, Feb 17, 2021.

1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

https://www.ghacks.net/2021/02/17/dns-provider-quad9-moves-to-switzerland/

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Long time user. The move sounds good. Hopefully it does not cause any issues with the service itself.

3. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I bet that they will rely on the same technical infrastructure as they did before, mostly Packet Clearing House.
    Switzerland is not in the EU, so GDPR does not apply to them unless they meet certain conditions. Remember Crypto AG? They were headquartered at Switzerland too ;)

4. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

I use quad9 for my dns and DOH in win10 and my browsers. Had a blip a few days ago, might have been when they switched over. It's all working again.
    upload_2021-2-18_18-31-37.png

5. Surt

Surt Registered Member

That they're moving their HQ to Switzerland from California should be heralded as nothing less than Good News for all the right reasons, at its core: maximum internet privacy protection.
    https://www.quad9.net/news/blog/qua...land-for-maximum-internet-privacy-protection/

Their partners and sponsors constitute a union of industrial and public expertise which, IMHO, represents a DNS of unequaled potency and value.
    I don't believe the mainstream user could leverage data assets from the likes of IBM X-Force and all those others at any price and so easily implemented in OS or router settings.

6. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

It is good service for average Joe, but user at intermediate level of skill and knowledge still can improve DNS security. For example Quad9 does not leverage phishing domain list specific to country (different services and language) I live in published by local CERT publicly for free.
    Anyway keep in mind that it may or may not provide data to three letter agencies.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

May or may not. Can be said about all providers. Believe what you want to believe.

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Here is a link to Quad9 privacy policy. Clearly they are taking a strong stance for privacy.

Compliance and Applicable Law | Quad9

9. Surt

Surt Registered Member

I'm honored your quoting me directly in a discussion having straightforward focus on a public DNS provider and your insight that Quad9 is good for the average Joe. Your mention of intermediate level skills and example is greatly appreciated. I did not know that! My post obviously revealed a shaky grasp of those dominion nomenclature structures thingies. I've since discovered experts possess skills enabling a considerable mastery of DNS.
    It's unlikely I'll keep that in mind. Some things just slip away...

Cheers.

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

That's how it's likely to go with me as well, Surt. :) The "may or may not" part is hard to keep straight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.