dns poisoning attack detected

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by stratoc, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

seeing as this looks like it's with us forever, what does it mean exactly? support told me to disable it in set up, but i would rather leave it on.
    But every other day or so i get this in my firewall log i know it's something to do with my router ping. What does the firewall log do, is it telling my smart has taken action? has it noticed and ignored it? what does it mean exactly as this does not seem to effect my pc in anyway. or should i disable it in set up?
    thanks.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I'm more inclined to say it means absolutely nothing. I think ESET's firewall just digs it's own hole when it comes to logging too much.

3. stratoc

stratoc Guest

hi, that's what i mean, why and what is it telling me? think you're right, i'll leave it enabled.

4. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

I spent a great deal of time hacking back and forth with ESET Tech Support on the ARP/DNS Cache poisoning attack logs with ESS 3.0. Most of the attacks were coming from my router. They were almost alway in UDP Protocal. Even more odd was that they tended to happened whenever I was going to a secure server. I was also getting a few here and there from my ISP Tech Support Secured Chats. Funny, all SSL Protocals are supposed to be in TCP, not UDP.

I tightened up the router settings quite a bit like putting all the systems on Static IP. Not sure if it helped. I stopped getting as many of these ARP/DNS Cache Poising Attack detections. However, after I installed ESS 4.0, it was like I was getting them all over again in droves.

Maybe it's just because my router is so old and behind the times. The manufacturer isn't even supporting it anymore. Hasn't been any firmware updates for 2 years.

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

mines less than a year old, i sometimes wonder if firewalls are more trouble than they're worth. don't use one on my other 2 pc's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.