DNS Leak?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Stifflersmom, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stifflersmom

Stifflersmom Registered Member

I changed my DNS server from my ISP to Google.
    I'm using a VPN and run a leak test from www.dnsleaktest.com.

I have to computers, one mac and one pc.

On my mac, I connect to the VPN and run the test and the result is one box that shows the country to which I am connected on the VPN. This seems right.

On my pc, I connect to the VPN and run the test and the result shows four boxes - the first is from the country to which I am connected on the VPN and the next three boxes each display Google IP addresses (presumably because I use them for my DNS server.

Does this mean I have a DNS leak on my PC?

If so, any recommendations for how to fix it? I searched around but quickly became confused. I was alerted to this because I did an IP address query while connected to my VPN and it displayed my real IP address. Very disconcerting. I don't know if it's an issue with my system or my VPN provider.

Any help?

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Who's the VPN provider? AirVPN anonymizes the search request and sends to Google for speed. They are in the process of listing the exact Google servers they use, so users can check for DNS leaks.

Do you have a static IP set for your computer's adapter?

Have you specified the 2 DNS addresses that you want to use, in the adapter?

Do you have the same 2 DNS addresses specified for the OpenVPN TAP adapter? (if you are using OpenVPN).

Did you change your router's DNS fields to your specified ones?

PD

3. popcorn

popcorn Registered Member

I have found that the dnsleaktest.com fix consistently causes more problems than not (W7 64bit) o_O
    I prefer to manually enter the DNS address of my VPN provider (Anonine) into the WIFI adapter, I leave the TAP-Win32 to automatically obtain a DNS address.
    I found this method by trial and error, but it seems to work well on my PC.

4. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

I agree, I never used the batch files they provide. I also specify for the Tap Adapter, but you are correct that leaving it on Auto is fine as well:

PUSH: Received control message: 'PUSH_REPLY,redirect-gateway def1,

...insures you are using the VPN's DNS.

2 ways to skin a cat.

PD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.