DNS Leak question

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by dogbite, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Guys,

I need your help to better understand what a DNS leak means.

For example, checking with ipleak.net when I am running on a VPN and browsing with Dragon, I see the VPN IP and Comodo's DNS.
    If I use FF, I get the same IP and the OpenDNS, not any longer the Comodo's ones. Ok, that is normal I guess.

My doubt is....The DNS listed in ipleak.net are leaks or not?
    I am missing the information if those are out of VPN connection or still in.

Thanks.

2. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Any information that you see associated with your DNS provider or VPN provider is normal, what you don't want to see, is information related to your ISP.

If you happen to see any DNS info in association with your ISP, then you have a DNS Leak.

If you want to test at another popular site h**ps://www.dnsleaktest.com is another good one.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  3. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Thanks, this is great news because it means so far I could not see any leak.

4. TheCatMan

TheCatMan Registered Member

You would definitely notice the leak since it would show your real IP address details.

In my router I use logless openic servers found here:

http://wiki.opennicproject.org/Tier2

Nothing is logged via those servers (check which ones since some do!), you can also use your VPNs dns servers but I found I was not able to log onto them all the time, I think its due to my tomato router type setup either way no leaks show up on that ip leak site.

You should never use default DNS servers ie your isp dns servers or google dns servers, they track and store all your websites and history and data.

Also make sure your firewall/or firewall rules are setup so if your VPN goes down or crashes your real ISP IP and ISP dns servers are not revealed.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Another good site that identifies all DNS servers that you're using is <-https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm->.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.