DNS leak fix?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lurningcerv, Jan 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurningcerv

lurningcerv Registered Member

I'm getting DNS leaks again. I have read that there is a way to prevent this by turning off DHCP? How do I get OpenVPN to just use the VPN service's DNS servers? I am already routing all traffic through the VPN.

2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I just go in and change the adapters. I don't use my VPN providers DNS. I use the German Privacy Foundation's. I have checked it many times with the GRC website and it seems to work really well.

https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm

ScreenShot003.jpg

3. locjo

locjo Registered Member

go to http://dnsleaktest.com
    choose enhanced test. After test is finished the dns servers on the list must be some other ones not the ones belonging to your real isp.
    you can fix it by using their utility which runs a script every time you connect to the vpn and fixes your dns settings to prevent leaks
    -http://dnsleaktest.com/dnsfixsetup.exe-

alternatively you need to remove all dns servers from your actual network adapter settings so all your dns is through the server on your tun/tap adapter your vpn provides rather than through your real lan adapter.

when you are on vpn your dns settings on your real network adapter should something look like this:
    http://i.imgur.com/qI5OVRx.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
  4. lurningcerv

Thank you for the replies.

To Locjo: I notice you are using Microsoft WiFi Miniport adapter. I'm assuming I would make the same changes to my physical wireless adapter. I made the settings changes as you suggest, and had to also go to the "DNS" tab and remove the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 that were listed there. After that, a Wireshark capture indicates everything is going through the VPN, apparently even the DNS requests. A DNS leak test indicates I'm using the DNS server I specified. So it looks ok, for the moment. Is it correct that my DNS requests will be going through the VPN tunnel now?

5. locjo

locjo Registered Member

Yes it should work fine this way, since only the tun adapter has an available dns server, so all dns will go through it. IDK where you got the idea of me using the Microsoft WiFi Miniport adapter though, I dont use it at all; its for PPTP vpn I think.

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I went to the leaktest site and it showed one of the DNS servers that I had listed. I went to grc and they showed both of them. But no others.

7. lurningcerv

To Locjo: I mentioned Microsoft WiFi Miniport Adapter because it's on your image of the Windows settings.

Now, after a couple days, something has changed the DNS settings I made. It put the Google servers back in. I had removed them. Does anybody know what could be doing this and how I can get these settings to stick?

8. lurningcerv

Sorry, I see the Microsoft WiFi is on Caspian's image, not Locjo's.

9. david banner

david banner Registered Member

is this a safe prog and will it work with cyberghost

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.