DMON?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Mikel05, Jan 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikel05

Mikel05 Guest

What exactly is it's purpose? From the help files it sais that it scans Internet Explorer 5.0 and above, MS Office documents. I haven't opened a Word document, so i'm not sure if it will scan it. But when i was surfing through IE (I normally use Firefox) it didn't say that it was scanning anything.

Also, by disabling DMON, will it free up some memory?

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It scans Microsoft Office Documents.

I doubt it, if it does it will be negligible.

Cheers :D

3. Mikel05

Mikel05 Guest

On another subject... I don't understand why NOD32 updates its virus definitions so daily? Symantec don't update nearly as often.

Is there something aobut viruses that NOD32 knows and Symantec dosen't?

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Eset are better at the job. If a virus is made and released today, I want Nod32 to update today, not at the end of the week or next week, I want protection as quickly as possible, and this is what Eset do :D

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

5. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

NOD32 has also the best heuristic, pro-active protection.

6. Gauthreau

Gauthreau Guest

I'm not exactly sure why NAV issues updates once a week, but I do know that if a virus poses a severe threat, norton with issue an 'emergency' update. NAV also offers users the ability to manually update their definitions, but many do not because they either do not know about it, do not have the technical skills to do so, or just wait until live update runs. It's a crappy set up. I had been nailed with a virus because of their weekly updates. I was hit with a virus on a wednesday, and the updates were not due to come out until the following tuesday. Weekly updates just aren't enough. NOD32, on the other hand, has got things right! Daily updates are the way to go.

Protect me before it gets onto my computer, don't deal with it a week later. By that time, it may have been mailed out to everyone I know 100 x's! BTW, NAV's heuristics do not compair to that of NOD.

Neil

7. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, the comments above are exactly right, ive seen Nod update three times in one day because the threat at the time warranted it.

8. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Eset doesn't update daily - to be more accurate, it's "as needed" - when I was going through the update database back in December, it was actually surprising how many multiple release days where were....

For findings on multiple release dates, check out the following text file:

http://www.nod32usa.com/nod32-updates/summary.txt

Nothing demonstrates a committed team of anti-virus developers more adequately than the history of these multiple releases - if it warrants a release, Eset pulls one together and releases an update as soon as they can!

hth

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.