Distro's End of Life (EOL) dates - so hard to find!

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by zapjb, Jul 9, 2016.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Why are distros EOL so hard to find? I used to be able to find the EOL right after the distro stated it's an LTS release. Very frustrating. EOL dates for each version for every LTS distro should be EASY to find. Every time now it seems a new LTS release of a distro I'm interested in gets released, I'm asking Wilders what the EOL is. I know how to search & I have been.

Point is a lot of distros are based off Ubuntu LTS. But not all distros releases are based on Ubuntu's latest LTS.

Again I'm sorry I did search so what is the EOL of LXLE 14.04.4? Thanks.

2. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

I agree this is a problem, and its of poor documentation. It wont help you for LXLE, but some are known.

Ubuntu LTS- 5 years from release date. At least, thats the latest LTS. Canonical has changed this fairly recently, so be advised they might again.
    Ubuntu non-LTS releases- About 9 months. There wiki is pretty good about making term of support known.
    Debian- has a very good wiki page for their EOL dates. Security update time varies from 2 years to longer- security updates transfer from Debian security team to long-term support team. Generally you get 2-3 years, but its been longer. It depends on how long they support your release when it becomes OldStable.
    Arch- Never or Forever, depends on how you look at it. Its rolling release, so as long as you keep it up to date it has no end of life. If you dont update, security vulnerabilities will pile up quickly.
    Gentoo- Same as Arch, though Gentoo sits on a much more stable package base so long as you arent globally unmasking unstable (~amd64). From what I see/remember, Gentoo doesnt backport security fixes to stable, so you might WANT to run ~amd64 from a security perspective.
    Linux Mint- depends, but wikipedia has a pretty good chart showing when each release reaches EOL. The most current one is like 2021, so generally pretty good.

Anyone else has a distro they know of or can help the OP with his?

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.