Distressingly slow Avira AntiVir free's update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rOadToIS, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

I've been using Avira free version 9 for about 2 weeks, and I am getting fed up with its slow update. It takes at least 5 minutes just to DOWNLOAD the definition files. Sometimes, it won't even connect to its server! :mad:
    Is this just Avira's problem or are there potential corruptions in my Avira files?
    And does anyone know how to speed up this slow update?

2. yashau

yashau Registered Member

5mins isn't so bad. You're getting it for free after all.

3. RealResults

RealResults Registered Member

Avira free servers are sometimes slow. If you like the software, and you don't mind spending a little money, you can get fast updates, all the time, with Avira Antivir Premium. Here is the link:

http://www.avira.com/en/products/avira_antivir_premium.html

Probably not the answer you were looking for but a solution.

4. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I have seen long delays during updates a few times. Usually updates are slow like they were with version 8. I must admit though that these last days I personally have super fast updates specially late at night ( less server load and traffic I guess or...why not some improvements on their system that handles the updates )

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

This is one of the differences between the free and paid for versions; with the premium software you get access to faster update servers.

6. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

The free update speed is not that bad, And look at it from there point of view they just recently opened up the full Anti-malware capabilities in the free version just so everybody who couldent afford to pay was protected fully.

In my oppinion a company that will do that for its free users is tops in my book and it also has no catches, very nice for a change.

So either accept the wait, Or help them out a little and buy the full version since a bit of the money goes to charity anyway.

^_^

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I had the same issue when I was on dialup.
    DSL connection was an improvement for updating.

8. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

I got the same on my home PC. It's not the server load, they are doing pretty good and on other computers, the update speed is very fast on the free servers. When I check the update log, I see plenty of 502 errors (HTTP proxy error). The update took 1:17 minutes, far too long. This is a bug and already under investigation here.

9. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

i had the same experience with Avira 8 free. very slow updates, sometimes no update for 2-3 days (although there where updates available). even if it's free, there shouldn't be this update problem. that's why i let go of Avira.

Avast has all theese capabilities since years ago. and it's free. Avira is not doing anything spectaculary.

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Avast is very good and getting better day by day but it still is not Avira, neither in detection nor in footprint. If consistently being on top on every tests thrown at it over the years is not spectacular, I dunno what is.

Avast also needs to solve the pending DEP bug where it crashes with DEP on. Avira has had no such issues ever.

11. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Aehm, we once had a DEP bug in our guard driver. :oops:

12. Arup

Arup Guest

I stand corrected, thankfully no more.:D

13. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

Avira is indeed a first class software, no argue there. i meant Avira does nothing spectaculary regarding adding the antispyware scanning to it's free edition. i gave Avast as an example. and a difference of 1-2% in detection between antiviruses is no big deal, you can get a "cold" with any antivirus.:)

14. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I set mine to update here at midnight.

Never any issues updating.

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Has been slow at times. But top software for free, I don't mind waiting a bit longer every now and then.

For the free version with spyware detection, do you need to download a new file, or is it being progressively rolled-out automatically?

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

To be honest, I have been pleasantly surprised at how fast the free version 9 updates have been. So no complaints here...

17. Arup

Arup Guest

Same here..........:)

18. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

Hi,

I have Windows XP SP2 - and ... yes, and AntiVir 9 Free.

My updates are about 5 seconds maximum.

PRO ...:thumb:

19. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

On my DSL DL is right away 1 min or less,sometimes little longer but will deal with it to able to use such a fine software, two :thumb: :thumb: up for Avira.

20. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

Surely if you can afford to buy a computer and pay for internet access, you shouldn't be so hard up you can't afford to pay for a very good anti-virus?
    Perhaps if you are truly skint you should consider whether you can afford an internet enabled PC at all!
    :doubt:

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I've noticed with AVIRA Free that update servers are fast, once you actually start receiving data. But until you do, update check may take as long as 2+ minutes, which is very long. After check is confirmed, data flies at 350KB/s which is basically top speed for my 4Mbit connection.

22. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Is there a way that you can tell when these updates and times is being put on the Avira servers?It seems like I seen this somewhere:oops:

23. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Thank-you very much:thumb:

24. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I love the latest version of AntiVir, but there are update issues. I never try to update manually, as it usually locks up for a couple minutes. I just wait for the auto-update, whether that be every day, or every other day.

25. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I'm not running it on my main-OS currently, which means I don't see it often, but I would guess since both are having serious problems with the update of AntiVir, it's a bug or issue that they'll fix in a new build/version-release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.