Diskeeper plans to introduce a file system filter driver to eliminate fragmentation..

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Az7, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

You could also buy a SSD instead and save yourself adding a massive hack between your OS and your drive with system resource impact.

I strongly disagree. Any attempt at organizing SSD data is a waste of time and read/writes. Data is SUPPOSED to be spread out all over the SSD to minimize tearing down a specific cell on the SSD.

3. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

They are talking about write sequencing technique, to enhance write speed and drive life.. I think their filter driver is just a buffering technique to convert random write to sequential.

4. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

That's true but i don't think they are doing that. I think the data will be still written all over the disk to prevent wear, but files will be stored sequentially all over the disk.

For instance intercept a random file write, and change it to sequential write on the fly so 1234. Then the next file will be still laid on the disk sequentially as 1234 but put somewhere random.

It's hard to say though, the details are pretty sparse.

5. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

The product in the link addresses filesystem fragmentation that affects the OS regardless of storage hardware. NTFS on an SSD is no different from NTFS on a HDD in this regard.

What you have in mind in internal fragmentation of the SSD, which if I am not wrong, is determined by the SSD controller (Intel/Samsung/etc). IIRC, the X-25 has some sort of internal defragmentation routine as part of the firmware that shuffles data around in the physical cells (blocks), but this is independent of filesystem (de)fragmentation.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.