diskeeper 2007 or perfect disk 8?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by lodore, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi i just read the old thread but ive got different questions.
    atm i have diskeeper 10 pro.
    i understand that diskeeper 10 has a background driver that defrags at least 3times a day. Diskeeper 2007still has the background driver (Dkservice.exe)
    that defrags in realtime.
    now perfectdisk 8 on the other hand yiou are ment to defrag weekly or monthly only because its better at comserlating free space.
    which means you have less things running. and you only defrag when you want to. i do like diskeeper 20 pro and it will cost me £27 to upgrade to the 2007 pro version. i do like the fact with perfectdisk you have all the features and theres no limit to how much data you defrag.

if you want to defrag over 768gb with diskeeper you need to pay for the pro premiem version. not that matters for the home user but for business it means you have to fork out more money to defrag those servers with tons of data on it. if i wanted ifaast 2.0 i would have to buy the pro premier version.
    but perfectdisk 8 has one version with everything.

what is better?
    background driver that defrags in realtime?
    or perfectdisk defragging weekly or monthly with no background driver?
    the crazy thing is it would cost me £26 for the upgrade from diskeeper 10 pro to diskeeper 2007 pro
    but for a new customer to raxco it would cost me £20 for perfectdisk 8.
    If I done the competitive upgrade i could get even more off perfectdisk.
    i emailed diskeeper explaining that i can as a new customer get perfectdisk from raxco for £20 when for diskeeper 1- pro upgrade is £27 and asked for a discount.
    lodore

Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  2. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I think that they still have their 30 day free trial offer. A few years ago, I downloaded that and ran it. After 2-3 days, I bought the program.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I hope my email to diskeeper stirred things up.
    perfectdisk is £20 and can defrag any size harddrive.
    diskeeper has three versions home pro and pro premier.
    i want the pro 2007 version since i have the version 10 pro version.
    but the upgrade price is more than the normal price for perfectdisk.
    in the enterprise you must safe tons using perfectdisk IMO.
    but i do like diskeeper i just wish it was better priced.
    lodore

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I have Diskeeper 2007 Pro Premier and find it works very well. I have tried O&O and Perfect Disk 7 and was not very impressed. As everyone keeps raving about these 2 I occasionally take a look but so far I have tended to keep unpgrading with Diskeeper. Once installed and set up it just takes care of itself. With Major file changes I still prefer to do a manual defrag ( before burning a DVD for example) but normally there is no reason.

5. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I have always bought via the US site. Can't be sure but I think you will find like for like it is cheaper.

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I actually found that PerfecDisk does a better job of defragging and restoring performance. I would say to try the trial and see what you think, which one does a better job for you and which one you like using better. Personally I didn't use the continual defragging when I used Diskeeper. I did for a short time but ran into some problems when I was playing a game and would pause the game to step away from the computer for a while.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: I have been using these two top-notched apps. Both are very good, shall I say this way; diamonds cut diamonds. Between PD v.8 and Diskeeper Pro premier v.10, It appears to me PD has slight edge. Few days ago I upgraded Diskeeper to v.11 (2007), its new feature,automatic defrag-Invisi Tasking Technology, is claimed to use only resources not in use by other processes. This new addition would eliminate the problem that Notok has mentioned on previous posting; I also encountered the very same situation. In addition, I find its I-FAAST technology very interesting. Based on this layman's view, Diskeeper Pro Premier 2007(v.11) is ahead few steps.:)

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Neither, I tried both extensively, not that one is better than the other, just they are different - both of them prevent any noticeable performance loss, which IMHO is the main thing (note that you would probably have to accumulate 6 months- 1 year of use to get any human measurable performance loss without defragging).

See which fits in with your daily use of the machine(s).

Perfectdisk will be more well suited to someone who cant/wont defrag regularly, maybe run CPU intensive stuff all day (will prevent diskeeper running at all).

Diskeeper makes great sense for my server, which I use to download lots of files via emule, which creates terribly fragmented files.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@Nickr

I have read the white papers at both diskeeper and perfectdisk websites
    perfectdisk is ment to defrag faster and better with its single pass defrag.
    and it also defrags free space to the biggest space possible which delays refragmentation. diskeeper doesnt defrag free space in its normal reccomendded settings which means refraggmentation happerns more quickly whichi guess is why they think defragging as it happens is better.
    but if you defrag the drive and defrag the free space it will take long for refragmentation.
    any comments will help me on both products
    lodore

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I have versions of both on different machines (V8 of PD; I don't have DK 2007 but V10 Pro). After using both for a couple of years, I don't have a strong preference to either. Both work as advertised, and equally easy to configure, and basically achieve the same result (yes, there are minor differences, but the main functional objectives are the same). I'd use price (and compatibility - although I've never experienced an issue with either) as the driver on a purchase, which would probably put the ball in Raxco's court since PD8 is basically equivalent to the DK Pro version. For a typical user DK Home is fine and a tad less expensive.

Blue

11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

When I tested, diskeeper was faster at defragging - at the cost of not defragging space as well (this was with DK 10, Dk2007 is very different with its real time defrag).

Diskeeper does defrag free space in normal/default settings, its just it only does it partially, this applies to 2007, it will defrag files first, then when there's no files left to defrag, will shuffle them around to defrag space.

The theory is, that enough spaces are left for files to grow - reducing refragmentation, the issue with perfectly defragging space is that as soon as a file is modified it will have to be fragmented (counteracted a little by grouping recently modified files together).

Which way round is better, I dunno...

Nick

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@Nickr
    it seems that perfectdisk defragging free space better mean that it takes longer for it to refragment. but ive heard perfectdisk puts the block of free space it consolated to the bottom half of the drive which is normaly slower than the top half.
    diskeeper's new invisifrag defrags in realtime as fragmentation happerns but since it dont defrag free space completely then it will be likely to refragment quickly. so the need for realtime defragging may not need to be needed if it defrags free space better. and diskeeper defragment multi pass engine.
    acording to raxco's website perfectdisk can defrag files defrag free space and optomize the drive in the same time diskeeper defrags. now they would say there better than there competitor. diskeeper's website says with the big harddrives these days and big files even 10minutes of computer usage can cause alot of fragmentation. is this because diskeeper dosent defrag free space completely so refragmentation happerns again very quickly?

perfect says a multi pass engine is like dial up to defragmentation and a single pass engine like perfectdisk is like broadband to defragmentation.
    diskeeper think that a multipass engine is fine.
    what is better?
    but if you defrag free space but put the consolated free space at the slow part of the harddrive was it really worth it?
    perfectdisk is meant to defrag all the files and diskeeper is meant to miss some and not report about them.
    I have noticed that diskeeper 10 needs 20percent free space to defrag and perfectdisk needs5 percent free space.
    but now diskeeper 2007 versions only need 5 percent free space which means perfectdisk's criticism of needing more space to defrag is now not an issue.
    I really need to do some tests i think.
    lodore

13. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Okay there is nothing much between them, but one thing l like about Diskeeper is the option to keep an eye on the Master File Table (NTFS drives.)
    So for anyone with Perfect Disk I'd recommend downloading the trial of Diskeeper to check the MFT usage.
    This is done by selecting configuration properties, frag shield, edit. Pay attension to the 'percent used.' If the figure is high say 90% - 100% you can choose to configure the MFT to the recommended size or, set your prefered size, if well below then leave alone.
    Why? This prevents the MFT becoming fragmented as more and more programs are installed or alot of files are added making sure the MFT is allowed enough space to grow and help in optimal performance of the drive.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@Meriadoc
    its only avalible in the pro version but thats the reason i got the 10 pro version when i got it.
    lodore

15. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Ah, thanks for the verification, yes Diskeeper Pro.

16. Gilbertqc

Gilbertqc Registered Member

I've evaluated most defrag sw and found they do have different perspectives on how to do it. I have yet to try the latest 2007 Diskeeper but previous versions proved to be the fastest in simple defragmentation of files. I've ended up preferring PerfectDisk for a deeper defragmentation with placement of files based on modification frequency and full report on system file fragmentation. I also found Raxco to respond quickly to possible problems. I even found one of their rep on a usenet hard drive discussion which is quite rare from sw companies.

When I compared PerfectDisk to O&O defrag, I consider both to have a similar perspective on defragmentation but O&O was definitively slower at the same task.

I recently tried UltimateDefrag v1.32 by DiskTrix Inc and found it promising but is far from a mature product by ExecSoft, Raxco or O&O.

I have to admit that I am a bit of a perfectionist and have had a deep interest in hard drives for over twenty years, from the time I had my first PC with a Priam 60MB RLL which had cost around 800$ and was huge in those days and had spent a few hours tweaking the interleave for best transfer speed. I still partition my hard drives...

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@Gilbertqc
    thanks for your infomation.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how about we add 0&0 defrag 8.5 to this thread.
    quite alot of people here reccomend 0&0 defrag
    can you explain why you brought it over the other defragging programs and why you recommend it?
    I know that you like the 5 different Defrag methods
    does it defrag free space well?
    any other features it has that the others dont?
    lodore

19. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: hi, Gilbertqc: Hope you do not mind that I add something to where you have left out. You have tried many different disk defrag apps. Have you had chance testing VoptXP? What it has amazed me is that when I move mouse over those little squares, they will show the names of that particular folders. I have heard some good comments about it, can you tell us more? Thanks.

20. Gilbertqc

I have nothing against O&O and find it is one of the better defrag programs out there. I did find O&O slower in doing its work by a noticeable amount and more cpu resource hungry when monitored with TaskInfo.

As for freespace, there is an option to force Agressive free space consolidation in the Partition properties of PerfectDisk (I always put it on). That way, I prevent gaps and fragmentation from occurring too quickly.

Under certain conditions, I can offline defrag system files without rebooting. An example would be with my music partition which would not be accessed by a program. It can "disconnect" the partition, defrag the system file and "reconnect" the partition when it has completed. You could not do that with your active boot partition... When dealing with your boot partition, it will place your Windows boot files at the beginning of the partition. You can also specify your fragmentation threshold percentage and specify excluded files.

21. Gilbertqc

I did try it a few years ago and was not impressed. Mind you it can evolve over the years and add features which I would deem important from my perspective... BTW I have no connection with any of those sw companies and present my views as a simple "home" Win XP Pro user.

You can also find the file name in PerfectDisk thru a file name button but it basically shows a file number when defragging.

I also enjoy the way it reports on the partition showing quite a bit of stats on its content in number of files, percentage, type of file, list of fragmented files etc.

22. screamer

screamer Registered Member

I installed a copy of Diskeeper 2007 Pro Premier last night after reading some reviews. Configured it to run IIFast et al... Run continuously. This morning I found my box frozen up solid, 45min's after the app started it froze.

I own Diskeeper Pro 9 and use it on my other machines "set it and forget it" option. It does a decent job. For my main box I decided to go w/ Ultimate Defrag. Immature yes, but it shows lotsa promise.

ex: When using DK Pro 9 I run analyze and it "always" tells me to keep it on "set it and forget it" mode. After a run of Ultimate Defrag, DK advised that no further action was necessary.

...screamer

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have diskeeper 10 pro and it works as advertised but it seems that perfectdisk is more through and can do more in online defragging than diskeeper can at cheaper prices.
    diskeeper wont give me a discount of my upgrade price of £27
    so i have emailed raxco and asked some questions.
    lodore

24. Gilbertqc

Ultimate defrag does defragment fragmented files but would not do the offline defrag I asked it to do. It also does not report much as far as what it found in the analysis and does not report on the system file fragmentation situation. It does present a nice graphical representation of the partitions.

I find NTFS to be prone to fragmentation. I say this when compared to OS/2's HPFS. After a year of 24/7 usage, HPFS would show about 6 files lightly fragmented. After 24 hours NTFS regularly shows over 100 files fragmented with some quite heavily fragmented. What is weird is that both file systems were designed and written by the same person: Gordon Letwin (sp?). I read a few messages from persons who had to maintain the HPFS file system who wrote it was one heck of spaghetti code and difficult to maintain. I know a file system is not something I would even dream of trying to write!

While I ran OS/2 for quite a few years, I am not using it anymore and am on Win XP Pro exclusively for the past 5 years or so.

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Does anyone think a commercial defragmenter like Perfectdisk or Diskeeper is necessary for an 80GB HD with about 18GB occupied? My files don't get defragmented too much but the used portion isn't confined to one spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.