disk write during imaging?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by cbuck1, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cbuck1

cbuck1 Registered Member

I have my email client set to check for mail every 7 minutes. What will happen if it checks and writes to the disk while True Image is creating an image file?

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

TI takes a snapshot of your system as it starts. Any email received after TI begins will not be included. Backup should complete without problems. Be sure and validate any image you create.

3. cbuck1

cbuck1 Registered Member

But how long does TI take to collect its snapshot? What if there is a disk write during the snapshot "exposure"?

4. GroverH

True Image is designed to take image backups while activity is occurring. No problem with disk writes--but they are not captured within the backups.

Your backup archive will consist of its content when True Image starts,

This has been a topic for many postings which can be reviewed and discussed in the user manual.

Many users write about doing all types of activity while backup is occurring. Others insist on doing their backups from within the Rescue Cd.

Any and all archives should be validated.

5. dagware

dagware Registered Member

Sorry for jumping in, but this comment caught my eye. I'm new to TI 10. When you say any and all archives should be validated, exactly what do you mean? Thanks.

-Dan

6. GroverH

Validate archive is a term used by Acronis to check the integrity of the backup archive--to make sure the file structure is not corrupt.

Check paragraph 12 of my Beginner Guide for Creating Backups for a more detail.

7. dagware

Thanks for the reply. I somehow missed this. I guess it's time to print out the guide and put it in the "reading room". ;)

-Dan

8. GroverH

Dan,
    Why not print them both. Even if I say so myself, there is lots of good info in them both. For those not familiar with True Image, it can help a lot. It's not exactly one stop shopping but the price is right :)

9. cbuck1

cbuck1 Registered Member

Thanks, Grover.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello cbuck1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

In addition to GroverH's explanation would like to mention that it generally takes only several seconds to create a point-in-time view of the volume (snapshot) using Acronis Snapshot technology. After that, the operating system continues working as the imaging process is under way.

The detailed description of the unique Acronis Snapshot technology can be found in this previous post.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  11. dagware

Well, it's not exactly free, since it costs paper and ink, but it's close enough! :p Thanks for the work!

-Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.