Disk Manager 2009 Still There After Uninstalling

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by jkb242, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkb242

jkb242 Registered Member

I installed the trial version and then decided to remove it using the Windows 7 program un-install utility. The program has been removed but the creation of some boot files which load just after POST are still there.

The files were written to the MBR or somewhere low level from the Paragon Defrag tool included with Disk Manager 2009. I would like to remove this file and get back to the original boot files.

For Paragon to leave this kind of stuff behind and not offer any instructions as to how to remove it is disturbing indeed and does not reflect well on their products.

Please, someone provide some information how to do this.
    Thanks

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

I had a similar experience with HDM 2009 pro. I even uninstalled it with a 3rd party uninstaller (Revo uninstaller), which is highly rated, and I was surprised to find not only Paragon folder inside the program files but some files inside my windows and system32 folders. My registry was filled with references to Paragon HDM too.

I guess, the only way to make sure you get all Paragon junk out is to install the program using "total uninstall" or "Ashampoo uninstaller', which takes a system snapshot before install and a system snapshot after install then compares the two and figures out exactly what HDM had been upto on your system.

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

If you use a function that requires Paragon to go into it's own "boot time" mode - it creates a little boot menu as a safety feature. Normally it uninstalls on completion of that operation.

If it is still there, the boot menu can be uninstalled by rewriting MBR. It is just a small program on the first track of the HD.

Either use Paragon - in the main screen Disk Map, rt click the Disk ( not a partition ) and select Update MBR.

Or use Easybcd - free from here:

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

Or use the startup repair function on Vista/7 recovery.

Hope it helps.

BTW - I never have a problem uninstalling the products. Revo is very useful normally, but some apps. require a restart to complete the uninstall.

Revo lets you interrupt that - then of course presents the files as still there. They would have been uninstalled by Paragon if you had let Paragon own uninstaller do the restart.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  4. jkb242

jkb242 Registered Member

SIW2 Thanks so much that worked nicely. I have EasyBCD installed but never thought to use the write MBR utility. I figured that that is where the problem was but was a bit cautious to re-write it without first asking about it.

I was actually going to remove EASYBCD and go back to the dual boot system using the Boot.ini on my C drive which is the primarly SATA device. I like EASYBCD but getting ready to migrate completely to Windows 7 at which time don't need to keep XP loaded other than the image just in case.

Much thanks again !!!:)

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You're welcome.

You might like to look at Easybcd 2.0.

It is still beta - but I have done a lot of testing and it is very good from a Windows perspective.

( I believe Mahmoud wants some more OS X users to test that side of things before actually releasing it).

It works great for multibooting with 7 - and lots of new fuctions - even if you are not multibooting.

Boot ( most - i.e. standard) .iso's straight off the HD, as well as the ability to make external media bootable, and a boot from vhd function.

http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=642

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.