Disk Imaging plus Backups?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CDreier, Apr 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CDreier

CDreier Registered Member

I had a problem and had to reinstall my OS plus all of my software. I did have a backup, but now realize I needed a True Image which would have saved me countless hours. My question is this. Would I be well served to keep a mirror image via True Image as well as a backup of individual files using Retrospect Express (Maxtor One Touch)? My understanding is that True Image's mirror doesn't work too well at the individual file level. I don't mind spending the extra $$ for a second external hdd if that's what I need - anything but the countless hours it has taken to get back up to where I was before. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

As they say "too soon old and too late smart", but you are smart now! :)

Yes, an image is a blessing when a system is really messed up or a drive fails.

Most of us prefer to image to an external USB or Firewire drive, but a second internal drive is another possibilty.

Disk imaging is done only at the partition or whole disk level. You can't select individual files to backup in an image. However, TI 9 added a separate function to do file backups where you can select individual folders or files.

Therefore, you can use TrueImage 9 to do both image and file backups, or you can use TI only for the partition/disk images and continue to use Retrospect for the file backups.

3. CDreier

CDreier Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I take it from your post that it wouldn't be too weird to do both a full mirror image plus a backup? I have the older version of Acronis, but would be happy to upgrade. Will it get too confusing using Acronis to do both - using two separate external usb hd's? If I remember correctly, "True Image" wasn't a real easy program to use if you're not a real computer whiz? But in a way, it seems simpler to use one program rather than two? Thoughts?

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Not weird at all to use the image to backup the entire computer and Retrospect to just backup specific data folders. Both backups can be on the same external drive.

As far as whether to upgrade to version 9... Well, you already know version 8 of TrueImage, and you know how to use Retrospect, so that's the path of least effort and lowest cost for now.

On the other hand, when you buy a new computer, the new hardware may make it necessary to upgrade to the latest version of TrueImage at that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.