Disk currupt

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Darkone121, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkone121

Darkone121 Registered Member

Ok after installing and getting TI 10 trial to run managed to save a backup to external drive, after having a problem cleaning up the main drive (i deleted some files). Wow i thought that was lucky hmm well actually if i hadnt gotten ti10 to try i might not of gotten into "spring" cleaning fever. So having a nice new backup i thought thats ok i got it all on the external drive only to find when i switch it on and look at it, it cant be read from its currupt is there anything i can do to fix this or have i lost all the data on the drive o_O?

2. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Darkone121,

If the image did validate after creation (both from Windows and from the Rescue CD) and the restore now starts but later terminates with an error message (perhaps blaming poor media), then you may have a RAM problem.

I'd suggest you download Memtest86+ an run it overnight. It should report zero errors. Often the restore operation of TI is the first of all applications (games inclusive) to detect marginal memory.

If my description of your situation is correct, you now have an empty drive and it may be worth retrying the restore several times. I succeeded once on the sixth attempt. Let the machine cool down before each start.

Addendum:: Overclocking and agressive memory timings may also be the cause.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  3. Darkone121

Dont think its a memory problem and the system has never been overclocked unless its been done by mesh who i bought the system from.

Ok what happened is in an attempt to get the backup under 27 gigs it was 38 on completion and yes it did validate which is why i thought whooppie all is good i moved some photos mpgs etc that were not important to the backup, as such as i had them on the external drive, was planning to leave a copy on there, i then went through the backup upto the point it told me how much space it would take got it down to 26 gigs now it was small enough to put on a second drive that's 27 gigs so i thought just put it on there and forget about it till needed that left the no1 external for more photos mpg s music etc. On doing a little house cleaning i deleted 1.5 edition of firefox there was that one and 2.0 in add/remove silly me i didn't think until after that its updated on top of each other so had deleted it completely. ok i thought a quick system restore and all should be back to normal (its also the first time i have had to use it) nope although the icons and such were there it wouldn't run, ok i got that nice new shiny backup with ati i can use (didn't want to loose all the bookmarks and such in FF) when i went into ati and went through the restore thing and it asked for the backup location when i went to the external drive all i got was an error box pop up saying the disk is corrupt and cannot be read from and i get that message in windows when i try to access it. if i goto windows disk manager it tells me its an healthy disk but i still cant access it get the same corrupt message... sorry for the long story but that just about covers what i did..

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Apologies Darkone121,

I seem to have missed the point. My poor English, again ...

5. Darkone121

No apologies needed you tried to help i appreciate the time you took anyway.

But am expecting this to be a lost cause i think the drive is gone still if anybody else had advice feel free to give it..

thanks in advance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.