Disk cloning to pc with new hardware

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scaa, Jun 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scaa

scaa Registered Member

The FAQ in help files mentions that the command "-mini" to be used to transfer image to a pc with different hardware. I have read the microsoft help files and found that this command has no effect on xp home. Since I have xp home what should I do to transfer my current disk to a new disk on a computer with absolutely different hardware?

Attached Files:

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

3. scaa

scaa Registered Member

I have gone thru the article mentioned. My problem is that the command "-mini" is mentioned to transfer syaytem to a new hardware. Windows help file says (jpg image was enclosed) this command has no effect on xp home. As I have xp home is it safe to transfer the system without giving the command or is there any different way. I think my question , though very clear, was not responded properly

4. Kbarb

Kbarb Registered Member

5. Kbarb

Kbarb Registered Member

The full text of the -mini switch option is

" -mini - Configures Microsoft Windows XP Professional to use Mini-Setup instead of Windows Welcome. This parameter does not affect Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, where the first-run experience is always Windows Welcome.

Note that if you plan to use the Sysprep.inf file to automate Mini-Setup, you must either run the Sysprep tool by using the -mini switch, or click to select the MiniSetup check box in the GUI interface. By default, if you do not choose to run Mini-Setup, Windows XP Professional runs the Windows Welcome. "

from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302577&Product=winxp

I don't quite get that either.
    I'm not sure but I think it means that sysprep will work but the setup screens will be different. "Windows Welcome" or "Mini-Setup", but it's not really clear.

What's a little worrysome is that Paul Thurrott says:
    "Sysprep support - Windows XP Pro will support the System Preparation (Sysprep) utility, while Home Edition will not."
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

But Microsoft's page says nothing about XP Home not supporting Sysprep - and you'd think it would if that was the case.
    In fact, it says "Applies To" XP Home at the bottom of the page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.