Disk Clone on big SATA Drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mliguori, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mliguori

mliguori Registered Member

Hallo,

I downloaded and installed the (last) evaluation version of TI Server for Windows (8.0.796).

Testing the product I tried to clone a disk starting from bootable CD.

I tried to clone a 120 GB sata disk to a 160 GB sata disk. The original disk has only a primary bootable system partition of 118.7 gb plus the spare space left by the standard windows installation.

I asked to resize the new disk partition to fulfill the entire drive, both in automatic and manual mode, but in either way I was unable to get a partition bigger than the original one (118.7 gb) plus a 40gb spare space.

I tried the same operation on a 80GB to 120GB disk migration and it worked as espected: new disk system partition is 120GB.

So, what I wish to know is if there are any limits on partition sizes on disk cloning and/or is there other way to perform this operations, since the usual situation, apart from a disk crash, is a migration to a bigger HD.

Thank you in advance.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mliguori,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please send Acronis Report to support@acronis.com (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the instructions)? This will let us investigate your problem.

Actually you should be allowed to resize partitions in the way you need. However you won't be able to delete any partition completely.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. mliguori

hallo,

thank you for your reply.

>Actually you should be allowed to resize partitions in the way you need.
    No. I can't in any way, neither dragging the mouse nor changing numbers in patitions size. I can only move the remaining unpartitioned space before or after the partition that is going to be created.

In the step where disks and partition are showed there is a little red circle with a white cross above in the upper left corner of yellow partitions row.
    Is that icon significant in this case?

Anyway I will run the report and send you the results.

>However you won't be able to delete any partition completely.
    at present I didn't try to delete any partition, just a disk clone.

Regards

4. mliguori

Hallo again,

I did another try with some kind of different result.

I tried to clone disk while in Windows 2003 and apparently it worked. I mean that in the cloning wizard the destination partition is resized to cover whole disk.

But the problem came after. During reboot, in the gray window like the one you get doing a full scandisk, there is a fatal error about indexes that prevent the real copy to start.

I did a full scandisk by myself and Windows 2003 found no kind of error, but disk cloning still don't work.

Anyway, I'm enclosing the report you asked for.

I look forward for your reply.

Attached Files:

5. mliguori

No way to resize partition even with image backup and image restore (not cloning but using 3 disk to have the job done).

Still the little red circle with white cross on top of destination partition and destination partition size text box dimmed and disabled.

Any news from you? Was the report useful in any way?

6. Acronis Support

Hello mliguori,

Thank you for the information you have sent.

According to the report, there shouldn't be any problems. But according to your description the image was created with errors. That is why you saw the red circle with white cross. Please send the letter with this report and the link to this thread to support@acronis.com and indicate in the subject of the letter that you want to contact Ilya Toytman. I will contact our Development Team concerning this problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. mliguori

Hallo Ilya,

I don't think that the problem is with image in itself, because I had the same problem even with "disk clone", so without making an image first.

I think the problem is in the way C: partition is analyzed when booting with recovery CD or in reboot step of disk clone (Index Error)

I see the red circle with white cross even in those cases, but I don't see it while in windows I choose disk clone (before reboot).

So, my guess is that there should be something different between the steps that run in full Windows and the others that prevent things go on.

Anything to do with 48bit nedeed to address big partitions?

Anyway I'll send an email as per your request.

Thank you.

8. Acronis Support

Hello mliguori,

Please send me a letter via e-mail and I will certainly help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. mliguori

Hallo Ilya,

I sent you the email 2 days ago. Did you receive it?

Regards.

10. Acronis Support

Hello mliguori,

I couldn't find your letter. Could you please send me a PM with your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply and the e-mail address you used to send a letter? I will try to fix the situation.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. mliguori

Hallo Ilya

I didn't receive any reply from my first message, so I sent it again today and the ticket number I received is 206847

Thank you.

12. Acronis Support

Hello mliguori,

I have found this letter and will answer you soon. Apparently your previous letter wasn't delivered for some reason. I am sure the problem will be solved.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.