disk clone is fast!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by riechert, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riechert

riechert Registered Member

I had to clone my HD to a replacement. Knowing from experience that the Western Digital utility to do this would take hours and hours I tried the clone option in TI 7. I was pleasantly surprised that it only took 45 minutes or so to copy both partitions (10G and 45G). Although, I haven't actually tried booting up the new copy yet. ;) That's tonight's task.

I was a little surprised, though, that it had to reboot first in order to do this since it can image all the partitions while running in Windows.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, riechert

It has to it that way to gain full acess. [lock the drive]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. riechert

riechert Registered Member

But it can make an image (which requires locking the source or whatever workaround they use that simulates locking) while in Windows. That's why I was surprised.

In my mind it seems that cloning is really not much different from imaging aside from the optional compression in images. Both lock the source and read everything from the source and write it to a destination, either a file (for imaging) or another disk / partition.

Either way it's not a big problem. I've done my cloning and, hopefully, won't have to do it again for long time.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, riechert

If only was all that easy HDD Manufacturers would be make Imaging programs to give away with their cloning software tools. :D

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.