Disk cleanup after patch Tuesday

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Banzi, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

I usually run disk cleanup on Windows 8.1 x64 a few days after each patch Tuesday. I have noticed afterwards that when checking windows update a few days later it shows updates that were already installed saying they need to be installed again, I have attached two screenshots showing this, notice the dates the updates were published. Has anyone else had this happen?

Attached Files:

2. Rules

Rules Registered Member

3. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I let them install again & rebooted even though it didn't ask for a reboot. Just though it was weird as they show in update history 3 times now lol.

4. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Yeah like you said "LOL", do you empty the cache of Update ?, if not open a command prompt as administrator and :

1- C:\Windows\system32>Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    2- Delete all files in (not the folder) in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\

Reboot and let us know.

Rules.

Attached Files:

5. Rules

Rules Registered Member

@Banzi

Something : in your last post you said these updates are present 3 times in the update history, but have you checked the installed ones, not the history :

Update history : Located in left pane of Windows Updates.
    Installed Updates : Located in left pane of Program and features.

Rules.

6. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Cheers, ran the DSIM command in admin CMD prompt & then deleted the files the download folder you mentioned, rebooted & ran windows update & nothing showed up. Like I said the issue seems to stem from running disk cleanup to remove the windows update backup files.

7. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Those updates show up in the windows update history about three times but the ones that show as installed in program & features have different KB numbers. I installed the two updates shown in the two screenshots in my first post but installed updates in program & features shows KB2980654 & KB2959977 & not the KB numbers in the screenshots.

8. Rules

Rules Registered Member

So you don't have to worry important is installed updates, and for the WindowsDiskCleanup, it does not remove backup updates, it removes outdated (superseeded ) updates.

Rules.

9. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

Cheers for the info. I thought removing the windows update backup files removed the ones that are installed every patch Tuesday.