Discussion thread for reorganization of "Probably the Best Free Security List in the World"

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MrBrian, Aug 21, 2014.

1. guest

guest Guest

Who are the target audience basically? If it's aimed to common PC users then this is too complicated, unless you are willing to put legends somewhere to explain the terms being used in PtBFSLitW.

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I recently asked ako (the list boss) a similar question. His reply was that he thinks a more sophisticated crowd tends to visit.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  3. MrBrian

Latest proposal:

Security - Software - Active Protection or Detection - System - Blacklist
    Security - Software - Active Protection or Detection - System - Other Than Blacklist
    Security - Software - Active Protection or Detection - Network - Blacklist
    Security - Software - Active Protection or Detection - Network - Other Than Blacklist
    Security - Software - No Active Protection or Detection - System - Blacklist
    Security - Software - No Active Protection or Detection - System - Other Than Blacklist
    Security - Software - No Active Protection or Detection - Network - Blacklist
    Security - Software - No Active Protection or Detection - Network - Other Than Blacklist
    Security - Web Browser Add-Ons
    Security - Operating System and Application Configuration
    Security - Resources
    Confidentiality - Software
    Confidentiality - Web Browser Add-Ons
    Confidentiality - Operating System and Application Configuration
    Confidentiality - Resources
    Availability - Backup
    Availability - Rescue
    Miscellaneous

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  4. MrBrian

I intend to have an explanation of terms on the index page.

5. MrBrian

I'm considering whether "Active Protection or Detection" should be split into these two:
    "Active Protection"
    "Active Detection without Protection"

6. guest

guest Guest

I personally like #28. As for the separation of "Active Protection" and "Active Detection without Protection", I have a question: what is the supposed definition of "Active Detection"? Does it mean the tools included in this category detect possible intrusions on-execution? If that's the case I assume "Active Protection" means the tools prevent possible intrusions pre-execution?

7. MrBrian

I'm glad that you like it :).

By "active protection" I mean program-provided protection when the program is running in the background. "Protection" includes both preventive (before the fact) and reactive (after the fact) techniques. If you're wondering why I'm not using the phrase "real-time protection," it's because I'd like to include programs here that are (or can be) user-initiated like VirtualBox. Basically "active protection" would include everything here except for system and application hardening because there is already a separate category for that.

By "Active Detection without Protection" I mean program-provided detection (via popup alerts, email alerts, etc.) when the program is running in the background. No active protection is provided. Programs in this category might be start with Windows, or perhaps be run only periodically by the system, or maybe even started on-demand. Programs in this category might provide detection in real-time, or they might detect in non-real-time.

By "No Active Protection or Detection" I mean those security-related programs that aren't in the above two categories. A lot of on-demand programs would be included here. Included here would be on-demand anti-malware scanners. Also included here would probably be most (or maybe all) of the programs in the existing System Monitoring and Network Traffic Monitoring pages. If a monitoring program provides on-going monitoring with in-program notifications, but the program needs to be monitored by the user in order to notice the notifications, then those programs would be included here instead of in "Active Detection without Protection."

8. guest

guest Guest

I'm sorry but I still don't quite understand the second category (Active Detection without Protection). I get the first and the third categories, but I can't interpret the explanation of the second one. So if a program detects possible intrusions and reports it to the user without any means to do preventive actions, it will be included in that category? I quickly related it to on-demand scanners at first, but then you said on-demand scanners will be covered by the third category. What tools of which pages of the current PtBFSLitW that can be considered to be included in the second category?

9. MrBrian

Yes, as long as the program runs in the background. Some people might call what goes here "Host Intrusion Detection Systems." Examples that would be included in "Active Detection without Protection": ASEPMonitor, Tripwire-like programs.

10. MrBrian

11. guest

guest Guest

From MrBrian's post #5:

12. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Overall it looks really good, MrBrian :) It might be a good idea to put warnings about software that's no longer developed/supported. I noticed some utilities in there that fall into that category.

*EDIT*

I guess I should add the list does seem rather overwhelming with so much content to sift through. Maybe you could have categories of the most popular items? Just a thought.

13. MrBrian

Those are good ideas :). On the new links page, there probably will be a FAQ with "Where is antivirus?" and "Where is firewall?"

14. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

A server replacement, perhaps? :D

15. MrBrian

I'm not sure exactly why a big list causes such problems, since I don't run their server(s). You could start a new thread at http://www.techsupportalert.com/freeware-forum/ addressing this topic.

16. MrBrian

Thank you :).

For what reasons do you see such a warning as desirable? Due to possible vulnerabilities? Or maybe a program might not work on modern operating systems? Or something else?

17. MrBrian

@ArchiveX: What do you perceive as the advantage(s) of having one huge list? Is it the ability to more easily search for a specific item by name? And/or something else too?

18. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

You're welcome. Basically the first two reasons you mention, and that they might not work due to a patch upgrade or other software installed. Some people just aren't that comfortable using unsupported software.

19. MrBrian

We've decided to remove paid products.

20. MrBrian

Latest proposal:

Intrusion Prevention - Software - Active Protection - Host-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Prevention - Software - Active Protection - Host-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Prevention - Software - Active Protection - Network-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Prevention - Software - Active Protection - Network-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Prevention - Software - On-Demand Analysis - Host-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Prevention - Software - On-Demand Analysis - Host-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Prevention - Software - On-Demand Analysis - Network-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Prevention - Software - On-Demand Analysis - Network-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Prevention - Operating System Configuration
    Intrusion Prevention - Application Configuration
    Intrusion Prevention - Hardware Configuration
    Intrusion Detection - Software - Active Detection - Host-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - Active Detection - Host-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - Active Detection - Network-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - Active Detection - Network-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - On-Demand Analysis - Host-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - On-Demand Analysis - Host-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - On-Demand Analysis - Network-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - On-Demand Analysis - Network-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Application-Specific Security - Web Browsers
    Anti-Fraud
    Authentication
    Backup
    Confidentiality
    Encryption
    Forensics
    Miscellaneous
    Recovery

"Intrusion Prevention - Software - On-Demand Analysis" is for software that lets you manually get information about a potentially dangerous item (e.g. a file or website) before deciding to use it. Examples: VirusTotal, PEStudio, http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/.

21. MrBrian

Latest proposal:

Intrusion Protection - Software - Continuous or Periodic - Host-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Protection - Software - Continuous or Periodic - Host-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Protection - Software - Continuous or Periodic - Network-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Protection - Software - Continuous or Periodic - Network-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Protection - Software - On-Demand - Host-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Protection - Software - On-Demand - Host-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Protection - Software - On-Demand - Network-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Protection - Software - On-Demand - Network-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Protection - Operating System Configuration
    Intrusion Protection - Application Configuration
    Intrusion Protection - Hardware Configuration
    Intrusion Detection - Software - Continuous or Periodic - Host-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - Continuous or Periodic - Host-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - Continuous or Periodic - Network-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - Continuous or Periodic - Network-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - On-Demand - Host-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - On-Demand - Host-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - On-Demand - Network-Level - Blacklisting
    Intrusion Detection - Software - On-Demand - Network-Level - Other Than Blacklisting
    Application-Specific Security - Web Browsers
    Anti-Fraud
    Authentication
    Backup
    Confidentiality
    Encryption
    Forensics
    Miscellaneous
    Recovery

22. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

-Isn't it convenient to have everything on a single page
    instead of going back and forth among various Parts by using a Drop-Down Menus?

-'Having everything on a single page' existed long ago.
    I'm not asking for something new...

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I did indeed find having everything in one page being useful myself when checking for duplicates, but a specified search engine should also be enough. Problem is, neither are implemented at this moment.

24. MrBrian

Indeed it is convenient. I miss having everything on a single page for search purposes. I guess it's time to make a Google custom search engine.

25. MrBrian

I've changed "Intrusion Protection" to "Intrusion Prevention."

Software in "Intrusion Detection" might or might not have the ability to do corrective actions.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.