Discussion about NOD32 v3 Blackspears Settings

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Philippe_FR22, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Hello all,

I had a look to NOD32 v3 settings proposed by Blackspears, and compared to advanced user guide advices...

I'm a bit dubitative because, from one side, Eset experts proposed (adviced) a default configuration said to be "optimized" and "safe", where security and PC perfomances are enhanced, and from the other side, BlackSpears proposed a configuration tutorial where pratically all cursors are set to the maximum (higher right position)...

For instance, speaking about Threatsense engine parameters setup (in advanced configuration tab / real time file system protection), Blackspear advice to tick all boxes... But, in user guide, it is said :
    Second example : log level ! Blackspear chose to log all events...

Well, what's about other ESET experts ? I'm afraid that with such parameters, NOD32 will result in :

- computer performances slowing down (CPU, Mem & Disk Access)
    - compatibility issues with 3rd party softwares
    - disk space reducing due to amount of log files

I thing that BlackSpears configuration should not be used, in first steps after installation, to validate that NOD32 V3 is well installed and there is no issues...

Then after, people could modify, one by one, configuration points IF NEEDED and FOR SPECIFICS situations...

I am sure that lots of problems mentionned inside this forum could be, in fact, consequences of Maximum Configuration Advice from BlackSpears... Maybe, before posting thread, default configuration should be applied back, to verify the problem is still here...

I think discussion could be interesting and I'm interesting to read other comments on this subject...

Regards

Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  2. piranha

piranha Registered Member

I agreeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!! I did posted exactly this way in french forum and may be here too.

I dont use v3 myself but I install it on buddy pc more powerful than mine and i set and I recommend default configuration with some minors customizations. Unfortunately, default setting are still too much for my old pc, I use v2.70.39. IMO, higher settings can cause some bug or hangs for more powerful pc too.

I think BS setting may result to give a bad experience to new user, a bit far away of nod32 reputation : low foot print, fast scan, etc.....

I do respect BS work here but i think his tutorial is for power user only, not for everyone on any pc.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Blackspear has explained this:

123321.png

However , I don't know why he has chosen to enabled "Log all" option

4. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Well in fact I was speaking about adding "email scanning" in threatsense engine... There were no explaination about that topic...
    But main purpose remains the same : why all parameters are at maximum settings ?

5. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

6. sangam

sangam Registered Member

i do not use log all option, nor do i enable scan runtime packers, in real time file system protection, but always enable - advanced heuristics & potentially unsafe apps.

7. mallen1

mallen1 Registered Member

Would you suggest a non-IT person run the standard installation and leave well enough alone?

On my previous computer (which died a sad death) I had 2.7 with Blackspear's advanced settings, and it worked like a dream. I am concerned about 3.0 w/ Blackspear's revised tutorial as I am unfamiliar with the upgrade and unsure as to which modifications will increase its footprint/resource utilization.

Are the problems noted above isolated to a few folks or are lots of people perceiving system slowdowns on their PCs by installing NOD32 v3.0 according to Blackspear's revised tutorial?

By the way, Blackspear - I appreciate your hard work. I'm just confused.

Thanks,

HARDWARE
    CoolerMaster WaveMaster TAC-T01 Mid-Tower, Intel D975XBX2KR Bad Axe 2 Mobo, Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.4GHz E6600, Corsair 4GB [2(2 x 1GB kit)] 5300 DDR2 SDRAM, NVidia 8600GTS Graphics, PreSonus Firebox Firewire audio interface/sound card recording system, 4 Seagate 320GB 7200.10 16MB cache HDDs. Seagate External 750GB Backup.

8. ok33

ok33 Registered Member

I would recommend to leave it alone for the best since your not that experience, sometimes checking what blackspear said like unwanted application, and high cleaning is almost as dangerous as a virus alone if you don't know what your doing. I tried it once and i had to restore my computer since some of my user they deleted needy files such as .dll as suspicions activity. Since then i use the default setting. Hope that helps.

9. mallen1

Would this apply give I used Blackspear's tutorial for v2.7 with no problems? In other words, are the suggestions in his v3.0 tutorial more dramatic and system hungry than those posted for v2.7? I appreciate any and all replies as I'm setting up my security today.

Sincerely,
    mallen1

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Mallen1, I have not heard of anyone having a degradation of performance using these settings, I would suggest trying them, and if you see anything let us know.

Cheers :D

11. mallen1

Thanks. Will do. Wish me luck!

-mallen1

24/7
    NOD32 v3.0
    Prevx2
    CS v2
    Hard Firewall (Netgear)
    Outpost Firewall Pro

12. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Has anyone experienced a slowdown using Log All? I used Blackspear's settings (including this - Although I blinked when I saw it), and everything seems to be working fine for me thus far.

13. ok33

ok33 Registered Member

It doesn't actually slow down at all just that it takes up a lot of space. Thats all.

14. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

Aha, thanks. One other item I noticed -- Post 74 (page 6 for me), it suggests only putting the browsers in Active Mode only if the need arises.

Since not being in active mode is the same as max compatibility in 2.7, wouldnt we WANT to have Active set on our browsers (to enable more effective filtering)?

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I had some freezing on a couple of web sites using active mode. One instance was when configuring a new system in Dell's online store. The other instance involved watching video on a site. You can uncheck the setting as the need arises I suppose. I initially did it because the user guide I downloaded from Eset recommended it unless problems were encountered.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.