Discrepancy in Drive IDs

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by s660117, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s660117

s660117 Registered Member

Hi,
    I just restored my Vista/Linux system from a backup using Paragon Hard Disk 2010. When the backup had finished, and before I booted, I went into Partition Manager to look at the layout of the disk. I was surprised to see that the drive letters looked entirely different from what they had been when the backup was made. The first Recovery partition, which had had an id of F, was the C drive and the Windows OS partition, which should be C, was E. Subsequent partitions did not have their proper ids either.
    But then, when I booted into Windows and started Hard Disk Manager and inspected the drive, the ids were as they had been prior to restore.
    Why the discrepancy and what effect, if any, would the improper ids have if I were to do a drive backup using the recovery CD?
    Sorry that I don't have a screen shot of either view, but taking one while using the recovery CD is impossible and I'm having trouble getting a screen shot under Windows.
    Thanks in advance,
    s660117

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

The partition letters that appear in boot media are usually different from the ones seen in Windows. You can assign labels to the partitions to identify them more easily.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Letters will be different depending which os you are looking at them from.

Paragon boot media is an os.

BTW- Letters are not the same thing as a Disk ID.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Yes, never rely on the letters always use disk partition labels.

5. s660117

s660117 Registered Member

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.
    s660117

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.