disc cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jean_pierre, Jan 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jean_pierre

jean_pierre Registered Member

Hello,

I forgot to remove the original disc before to reboot from new disc via bios boot disc option.

Windows now uses the new disc for most of the work, but also the original disc which is still detected as c drive!

I have already deleted may file from the original disc....!

When I remove the original disc, the system boot, the windows screen comes, but the system never comes up.

Is there a way to recover the situation.

Thanks for your help.

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello jean_pierre,

Is this a question for Acronis? If so, which program?

3. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

As requested by jean_pierre, I will now move this thread from Test Forum to Acronis True Image Product Line.

4. jean_pierre

The program used was : Acronis®*True*Image*Home® version 11.0 (build*8*053).

The problem is not the program function but how to corect the humman error.

Looking at the configuration, windows look at the drive g: booting from that drive, but many application access the drive c:...!

When I remove the original c; drine and reboot the system from the cloned disk, the boot process start but windows does not start.

What can I do?

5. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

jean_pierre:

One solution is to boot the PC from the bad clone with the original drive still attached. Start the registry editor and go to the location HKEY_Local_Machine\System\Mounted Devices. Delete all of the entries in that key. Shut down and remove the original drive. Reboot the machine with only the bad clone attached, and Windows will rebuild the list of mounted drives and reassign drive letters. You should end up with C: assigned to the system partition.

**Edit** fixed first sentence.

6. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

there's many way's to change drive letters. I do it the easy way with "paragon justboot corrector". It's the quick way to change the drive letters on a non-booting hard drive.

If I where you I would use the demo of that program to bootup your clone and verify that you do indeed have a drive letter change problem. If it is a drive letter change problem, that's a fixable problem. It has occured to me a couple of times where my restored drive wouldn't boot completely, changing the drive letter back to c: always fixed the problem for me.

the link shows several ways to change drive letters.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=174958

7. jean_pierre

Many thanks to kOlo,

deleting the entries in the registry hkey_local_Machine\system\Mounted Devices worked.

Once more many thanks
    jean-pierre

8. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Sie sind willkommen :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.