Disc Clone via USB hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bismith, May 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bismith

bismith Registered Member

Can the 8.0 product create a clone disk via USB external hard drive? I need to know ASAP as the current drive in my unit has developed an ominous bearing whine.

2. bismith

Looking through the other forum items, I guess the answer is maybe. Can anyone send the BART PE plug in direct? My guess is it may be a week before acronis gets around to it. I wish the great reviews on this product mentioned its fairly well documented USB issues -- I'd have gone with something else.

3. bismith

Oh, one extra detail. Unlike the other USB threads, I am jacked direct into the unit (Dell Dimension 2200). So much for the conflicts on hubs.

4. iflyprivate

iflyprivate Registered Member

You should have no difficulty cloning from your laptop to an external USB2 drive connected to the laptop.

Have you tried booting from the recovery CD to clone?

5. bismith

Unfortunately, we're talking desktop. Just tried again, no joy.

6. iflyprivate

Sorry, I misread your hardware.

Have you tried the "quiet" setting when booting up from the Acronis Recovery CD?

7. bismith

No. Perhaps I'm lost in this process, but I didn't know I needed to boot from the recovery disk to achieve the cloning. Maybe I missed that -- what keeps happening is the scan work gets done, and on the reboot, I get a "Disk not found" error, not unlike what I read on other threads about the PEST patch.

I've got the 826 build -- just downloaded and purchased yesterday.

For a moment I thought I had a USB enable issue in the BIOS, but that's turned on also.

8. iflyprivate

Try this:

1) Connect your USB drive and check to be sure it's recognized from your desktop.

2) Do not launch TrueImage 8 from your desktop.

3) Insert the Recovery CD (create one if you haven't already) and restart your computer.

4) Set your BIOS for a one-time boot from your CD drive. (F12?)

5) Allow plenty of time for TrueImage 8 to boot from the CD - 2 to 3 minutes.

6) If TrueImage 8 screen shows up, go ahead and set up for your clone operation. You should see your external USB2 drive as the destination drive.

7) When complete, restart and disconnect your USB2 drive.

:cool: Swap out your drive mechanism and boot from the newly cloned drive as your internal.

You should be okay. Let us know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.