disappointing problems with TI7

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NoahsMyBro, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NoahsMyBro

NoahsMyBro Registered Member

2 Weeks ago I purchased TI Server 7.0. I haven't yet managed to get it to do exactly what I want. Tonight I hit the Acronis site looking for answers, only to see that (1), True Image Server 8.0 is now out, and (2), from reading the forums I'm guessing version 8 doesn't solve my problems any better than version 7.

I'm very, very disappointed with my purchase, and I'm hoping somebody here may be able to help me out.

In the first place, I specifically want to avoid installing the app if possible. I very much would prefer to do everything from a boot disk (CD or floppy - I don't care which).

I'm running into the following problems:
    A) I want to boot from the TI CD, and write an image directly to DVD. I purchased an external DVD writer at the same time that I purchased TI7, specifically to burn images of our servers for disaster recovery purposes. From reading the forums, it appears that it's impossible to write the image directly to the DVD. I think this is terrible, and while I don't recall exactly what the website description said 2 weeks ago, as I recall this was one of the features I believed existed, and one of the reasons I chose True Image Server. If Acronis claimed this functionality was there, I think you guys are obligated to fix it. If not, than I was careless in my reading (possible). Nevertheless, it's very disappointing to me and I believe the functionality should be added to a downloadable update, available to registered customers.

B) OK, so I cannot write an image directly to DVD. Workaround - write to a network location and get the image to DVD from there. A pain, but doable. NOPE. I cannot seem to get to my network shares either.

I boot from the True Image 7 CD. I have a Win 2k3 domain. I am the domain admin. I have tried using the 'Computers Near Me'. I have tried using UNC paths. I have tried entering my named user account and password. I've tried using the domain admin credentials. I've tried creating a new share on a server and giving Everyone full control. I've tried both " [domain name]\username " & " [domain name]/username " for the username. I've even tried " \\[domain name]\servername\username " as the username.

Whatever credentials I enter, the login prompt simply pops up, over and over again. Nothing I enter is accepted.

If I go into the Options dialog, I see my NIC, eth0. It displays it's parameters, and all look fine. None are changeable, however. In another post in the forum, somebody wrote that it may work better if I remove the gateway and DNS servers from the configuration. But I am unable to edit the fields at all, so I cannot remove those entries.

I can see all of the machines on the network. Considering nobody else on the forum appears to have this problem, I'm hoping this may be solvable.

Help, please?

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Create a short name on the server with no spaces like:
    "imager" and try logging in with that.

3. NoahsMyBro

NoahsMyBro Registered Member

I created a share named 'images'. Still had the same problems.

4. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Thats good, but I meant a user. (Sorry that I was not more clear) I thought that your problem was in logging in. Try a short user name with a blank password (on the server). Be sure to give it rights to the share.

5. mecalvint

mecalvint Registered Member

Try using a local user instead of domain user. Local admin is a good one.

So on a wkstn, create a share "image", share it to Everyone. On this wrkstn, make sure it knows about the other PC, (host and lmhost)

Boot to your TI CD, use wkstn\<local admin>.

Strange that your network info are grayed out.

And when you say: can see network. Is that inside TI boot CD or inside windows.

I used to have lots of problems with Ti across network. Just keep banging at it and it will be OK.

6. MikeD

MikeD Guest

I'm running TI8. I have 2 servers both of which are Server 2003. One is my Domain Controller where all the primary storage and network shares are. The other is actually Server 2003 with Microsoft ISA 2004 (not a domain controller, but a domain server).

With the TI8 Boot CD I created the network card gets info from the DHCP server on my Domain Controller. It pulls DHCP, DNS, gateway, etc. The options to manually configure are grayed out being that DHCP is enabled on my network.

Computers Near Me shows my domain, the PCs and servers. I can login to my ISA server with no problems, but the shares setup are not for TI and I cant switch the drives around between the 2 servers.

If I try to connect to the Domain Controller it just keeps coming up with the password prompt no matter what credentials are entered or how I enter them. i.e. Domain\User, User, etc.

I changed a setting in the domain controller policy as instructed by the Acronis web site, but this did not help.

Has anybody been able to use the BootCD with Server2003 running as a domain controller?

7. MikeD

MikeD Guest

Ignore the Post above as I changed the workstation setting in Group Policy not the domain controller setting. I can now login :)

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

9. wschuitema

wschuitema Guest

I've got the same problem w2k3 domain controller. I even changes the followed the instructions from the FAQ and it still does'nt word?

very frustrating

Any ideas anyone??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.