Disappointed with DVD support in TI

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MikeMTL, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeMTL

MikeMTL Registered Member

DVD support is dreadful in Acronis TI 9 Workstation... several cheaper products will write directly to a blank DVD-R/+R without skipping a beat while Acronis requires a whole bunch of second party fluff to be installed. And even then I did a test restore after making a back up and it failed.

Most people are not backing up on CD-R now (because of drive size) so I think Acronis needs to really focus on Direct DVD writing support....

I should also point out I am in IT sales and backup related solutions makes up about 40% of my sales volume.. Acronis was a strong seller for me but now that I have had the opportunity to test it myself I can't recommend it for anyone without hard disc or tape storage as most of my smaller clients are using DVD-R/+R for their local workstation backups.

It's a sexy looking product but this DVD issue really needs to be simplified.

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Try the latest version. It does not require packet-writing software to be installed.

3. MikeMTL

MikeMTL Registered Member

Are you referring to the latest TI9 Workstation Build 3832 or the TI10 Home product?

Thanks..

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Direct writing to DVD was introduced in TI9 in both the Home and Workstation version. It was around build 3633 for the Home version (current is 3677). The Workstation builds always seem to be a few numbers ahead.

There were some serious problems in the first direct dvd writing versions which is why I say get the latest for TI9 and try it. In the Home version there are a couple of quirks such as not requesting a validation immediately after the backup within the backup wizard. This causes endless looping so you should validate independent of the creation.

Some don't like the fact there is no control over the write speed. Just how the Workstation version compares with Home in this regard, I don't know.

Many TI users don't recommend using DVDs but prefer external USB drives or a second internal HD for backups. This is primarily because of speed and perceived enhanced reliabilty. Restoring from DVD, particularly if the archive spans more than one can be a time-consuming process with various numbers of DVD swaps.

My preference is creating the archive on a second internal HD and backing up the occasional archive to DVD using Nero.

Hopefully, someone with direct Workstation experience can give you some more informed comment on that product.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MikeMTL,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware as seekforever mentioned that the old builds of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home (3567 and lower) doesn’t write to DVD directly, instead it utilizes third party UDF packet DVD writing software. Starting with the build 3625 Acronis True Image includes direct DVD writing ability (no third party software needed).

You can find more information on how to write your images to DVD in this FAQ article.

Should you experience a problem with back up/restore to/from DVD discs via Acronis True Image, please describe the issue in more details, explain your step-by-step actions which you took that led you to this issue and we will help you solve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. mghia

mghia Registered Member

The link the Tech gave is a joke! It is all hype. I have 10 Home with build 4871 bought at Staples and all it did was pretend to write to 6 disks and tell me it was successful and the disks were blank. What gives Acronis? Don't adverstise your product can do something if it can not!
    My burning is a NEC 2500A
    Disks were TDK DVD +R 4x
    Abit NF7-S V2
    XP HOme with SP2 and updates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.