Disappearing image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by NineToTheSky, Jan 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NineToTheSky

NineToTheSky Registered Member

I've been using True Image 8.0 (build 763) for about six months with no problems. I have XP Home. But since yesterday, I have encountered an odd problem, and I would be very grateful if anyone could help.

I back up my internal Seagate 250gb drive to a Maxtor OneTouch 160gb external USB drive. Yesterday, I deleted my main backup file and several incremental files (as the Maxtor was almost full). I created a new item and TI didn't complete the backup, reporting that there was an error on the external drive. Looking in Windows Explorer, there seemed to no evidence of a backup file. BTW, I don't use a Secure Zone, and hidden and system files are visible.

So - I started again, and created e:/mybackup.tib successfully. My .tib file is about 75gb (as normal), but my free space on my e: drive is only 5gb. That corrupted file must be on the drive. But where, and how do I get rid of it?

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, NineToTheSky

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

The only things which [might work] I can think of are, try turning off the system, unplug the USB drive, reboot back in to your OS, then turn off again, plug the USB drive back in and check to see if it clears, or a utility that wipes your free space.

What OS are you using?

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. Manuel

Manuel Registered Member

Hi,
    you could empty your trash-folder or/and delete the folder "RECYCLED" on the USB-Drive.

4. TheQuest

Hi, Manuel

Good one Manuel, I forgot to suggest that, :oops: the obverse ones are so easy to forget. ;)

Take Care,

5. NineToTheSky

Thanks, but I thought of that one!

This has actually happened twice in a row (75gbs going missing, not a corrupted .tib file). I've resorted to formatting the drive each time. I've now created an image successfully, so this question is purely out of curiosity (and to know if I'm doing anything wrong).

Thanks for all your responses.

6. Manuel

Manuel Registered Member

What happens if you stick your disk into another pc or just run e.g. Knoppix?

7. TheQuest

Hi, Manuel

How will Knoppix help.

I seen other posts about Linux Knoppix, ie sees what is in the SZ, but Knoppix does not seem it can delete or move anything.

Please advise me if I am wrong, I tried and it just say it does not have the right permissions.

Take Care,

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello NineToTheSky,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

It is difficult to solve this problem since it is impossible to obtain any diagnostic information now after you have formatted the drive. The most possible reason is some error in file system. In this case the "check disk" tool could help.

If you encounter the problem again please write either on this forum or to support@acronis.com. We will do our best in order to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  9. Manuel

Manuel Registered Member

Have to correct you... :)

You can read FAT and NTFS. Writing is only allowed on FAT. If you want to write on NTFS, you need drivers, e.g. Paragons.

Don't know, which Knoppix-version you use, but the following would be correct.
    After booting knoppix, you'll see your drives on the desktop.
    When you open a drive by clicking it's symbol, knoppix will mount the drive in read-only mode. So, please do so.
    Now close the window (mostly Konqueror), right-click the symbol. There you can see a item called "change read-/write mode" or something like that.

But, that was not, what I ment, when I was talking about Knoppix.
    I just wanted to know, how much GB Knoppix will recognize.

10. TheQuest

Hi, Manuel

Linux Knoppix Live-CD 3.7

I even tried Knoppix26, still could not make it do anything. :(

Will give it another try.

I not sure what you mean?

And I use [play with] Linux OS's, Suse 8.0 and Fedora Core FC3.

Take Care,
    TheQuest

11. NineToTheSky

I thought this was OK, but no, I'm still having problems: TI gets through about 85% of the image creation, and then an error message saying 'E00070004: failed to write data to the image archive file. A possible reason might be poor media quality'.

To recap, I'm backing up an internal 250gb drive (NTFS, Windows XP Home) to an external Maxtor OneTouch 160gb drive (also NTFS).

I've formatted the Maxtor, and checked it for errors, and everything seems OK. I'm feeling naked without a back up, so if anyone's got any ideas, I'll be grateful...

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello NineToTheSky,

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (791), which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

If the problem occurs again please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to support@acronis.com along with the reference to this thread. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure. Please note that your extenal hard disk drive should be connected to computer and powered.

Thank you.

--
    Andrew Berezovsky

13. NineToTheSky

Andrew

Thanks for your reply. I have sent the report, as requested.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.