Disappearing Icon from Task Bar

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by WilliamP, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Reg Defend works great but when ever the cursor touches the quick launch Ghost, it disappears. It will come back if I double click on the desk top icon.

2. WilliamP

I have rebooted and now it seems ok. For now. After about a half hour it starts disappearing again.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  3. WilliamP

It is not running in Task Man. The gss.ex is gone. It seems to be shutting itself off.

4. nick s

nick s Registered Member

More likely a crash. System tray icons tend to hang around in the system tray after the associated process has crashed, often until you hover the mouse pointer over them. What other security apps are you running at startup? To eliminate the possibility of a conflict, I would try disabling one at a time and rebooting.

Also, when you said it was working, does that mean that RD was giving alerts and logging?

Nick

5. WilliamP

Hi Nick , I figured out that it was my fault. I would click on the task bar icon and RD would open. Then I was clicking on the x to get to the desk top and the icon stayed on the task bar until the cursor touched it. So I was actually closing it. It was my stupidity. I'm glad that it was. That means nothing is wrong with RegDefend.

6. nick s

nick s Registered Member

No problem. Glad it's working for you :). BTW, have you used the online updater (to make sure you have the latest components)?

Nick

7. WilliamP

Yes I have the latest updates. I was used to my other software that doesn't shut down when you click on the X. It just closes the desk top but it continues to run and the icon stays on the task bar.

8. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

On my XP-SP2 HE system, clicking on the GUI upper right X does NOT close down gss.exe. It just closes the window and minimizes back to the notification icon in the lower right task bar. Are you sure you are using GSS V1.010 and Regdefend 2.001?

9. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi WilliamP,

siliconman01 is correct. The only way to normally shut down the latest GSS/RD is to right-click on the tray icon and select "Exit". Closing the GSS/RD window (clicking the X) should not shut down the tray icon. At any time, the tray icon should not be disappearing when you hover the mouse pointer over it.

Nick

10. WilliamP

Well I have V.1.010 and RegDefend 2.001 on XP Pro. SP2. Now, when I was installing it gave the option of installing Desk Top icon and Quick Launch icon. The Desk top was checked by default and I checked the Quick Launch. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

11. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I cannot see where the above has anything to do with your problem.

A new update just came out on RegDefend...although nothing is posted yet about it and the version numbers did not change. Perhaps it will resolve your problem. ;)

12. WilliamP

I have removed and re-downloaded . This time I didn't check the Quick Launch icon box and everything seems fine. Now I have a ghost on the desk top and one on the task bar and it works properly. Alls well that ends well. Thanks for the replies.

13. WilliamP

Here we go again . It has started the same thing. It doesn't make sense to me. For some reason it will shut down. So far it seems that if I mininize it it is ok. If I open configure and click on that window to close it ,it will also shut it down.

14. WilliamP

I have E Mailed Support and haven't heard from them. So long as I don't close the RP window , just minimize it, it will continue to run.

15. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Hi William,

Another user has found out that WormGuard is making Ghost Security Suite crash in certain instances, so if you are running that software could you try disabling that. Another issue seems to be with ProcessGuard and its Close Message Handling (CMH), which doesn't seem to work well on gss.exe either.

16. WilliamP

I do have PG and had CMH set for RegDefended. I have removed the CMH from RD. I hope that this fixes the problem. I recieved an E Mail from Jason. Glad to have the support.

17. WilliamP

I just wanted to let everyone know that removing the CMH in Process Guard fixed the problem.

18. dhruva

dhruva Guest

what about disppearing icon from system tray my dlink icon is disappeared when the computer is started it blinks for a second and then disappears i know its running cos i see airlinkplus.exe on task manager.. that happens when i install a program that runs on startup like norton av, mcafee, sorta program

19. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi dhruva,

If you have customized the default RegDefend rules, you may be blocking the proper startup or behavior of other apps. Your best option is to reset RegDefend to its default (RD Standard) rules. You can do this by disabling and exiting RegDefend. Then go to your RegDend program folder and remove the rdstandard.gsr file. Reboot, open RD, and force an update by holding the Shift key down and clicking the "Check Now" button. This will restore your default rules when RegDefend runs again.

Nick

20. dhruva

dhruva Guest

thanks for the reply nick by the way where does the regdend folder lies i tried to search thru windows search i couldnt find folder

21. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi dhruva,

The folder path is \Program Files\GhostSecuritySuite.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.