Disabling Win 10 telemetry by blocking all HTTPs

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by DavidXanatos, Apr 24, 2017.

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Hi,

I was testing win 10 in a VM in order to get a better understanding of what components are sending data especially telemetry data to Microsoft.

Observing the VM's network traffic on the host PC using wire shark, I noticed that when I block all HTTPs traffic using the Buildin Win 10 firewall the OS was not longer sending or receiving anything conspicuousness.

Now the down side is that this of cause blocks windows update, it does not seam to be possible to configure windows firewall to block all outgoing traffic to ports 443 and 80 with the exception of a local IP of a WSUS server.
    Also I can not block svchost.exe and than add an exception for the update services

Now during all my tests I had https://www.binisoft.org/wfc.php installed so that may be be an issue.

It seams to me the issue is that apparently I can't tell the priority of the firewall rules...
    Is there a way to do it?

As a workaround I can copy svchost.exe and let the update services using the copy with an own rule but that is not elegant...

So any ideas how I could achieve my goal in a elegant way, ideally one which could be deployed to users that don't wont to mess with stuff after each feature update?

PS: and are there better firewall applications out there which would be flexible customizable and not patronize towards the users?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.