Disabling SB restricted-sites protection

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by MikeBCda, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Too old and lazy to do a proper search for this, sorry.

If for whatever reason I choose to disable Spyware Blaster's restricted-site protection, is that humongous list of additional registry entries removed, or do they stay and simply have their values changed to internet zone?

I recently upgraded from dialup to DSL, and have since been experiencing l-o-n-g delays when "looking up ..." sites. I've tried the "auto" setting, the specific DNS-server IP's my ISP gave me, and even OpenDNS, with no noticeable difference.

I doubt if SB (and particularly the registry additions) are to blame, since (a) I use Firefox almost exclusively, which doesn't use that protection, and (b) I typically have the same problem even off the web just checking POP mail. But if I used IE, it's a fair bet that having to scan all those entries before going to DNS lookup could slow things down considerably, the same way that a monstrous Hosts file could.

2. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

SpywareBlaster cleans up all the registry entry remnants - so if you remove the Restricted Sites protection, all of the values and keys will be properly removed. :)

Internet Explorer does a good job handling large lists of Restricted Sites entries. A much larger collection than even SpywareBlaster provides should cause no noticable difference - even on much older systems.

Best regards,

-Javacool

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.