Disabling partly Avg anti-malware real time scanner & using other real time scanner

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by ronny, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronny

ronny Registered Member

My AVG Ani-spyware license is about to expire. AVG has proposed my an attractive offer to upgrade to AVG anti-malware. I am tempted to accept it.
    But I already have a (good) virus scanner on my computer(s).

So here is my question: Can I install AVG on a computer which has already an other virus real time scanner and use it (AVG anti-virus part of AVG anti-malware)) as an on demand scanner BUT still use the AVG real time spyware scanner (the other part of the anti-malware scanner) ?

Thank you in advance!

2. kodl

kodl Registered Member

It is not recommended to run more than one AV scanner (on-access scanner) on a single system. Results may vary, from incorrect naming and identification of malware up to system instability.

3. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

True, but you can have a second AV as a pure demand scanner for right click scanning of downloaded files etc. The OP is wondering if he can disable the AV part of AVG, I really don't know the answer; though it would probably be overkill to do that.

4. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Indeed, I am. Thank you TopperID.
    Sorry to all if I wasn't very clear. Please remember: English isn't my native language.

Thank you also Kodl for your answer although I already knew that.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Re: Disabling partly Avg anti-malware real time scanner & using other real time scann

You already have AVG AS so why would you upgrade to AVG AV and then disable the AV because you already have a good AV? I think I may not understand what you mean correctly.:)

6. ronny

ronny Registered Member

Re: Disabling partly Avg anti-malware real time scanner & using other real time scann

Well I surely want to keep my AVG anti-spyware. But because the upgrade price to AVG anti-malware for 2 year is so negligible low, I was thinking to use the anti-virus scanner as a second on demand (only) scanner, for a double-check with some files to my Kaspersky or eTrust (on other pc).

7. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

No, you cannot use only the Anti-spyware engine of AVG Anti-Malware either real-time or on-demand. You can only use either the AV+AS engines or just the AV engine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.