Disabling NOD32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by lvhkyjr2, Jan 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lvhkyjr2

lvhkyjr2 Registered Member

Whats required and not required to disable NOD32 to install other new software. Does it even need to be disabled to install software?

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Most of my software installs go fine with both nod32kui.exe (the user interface seen in SYSTRAY) and nod32krn.exe (the service) running.

However, some installs have gone to Hades-in-a-handcart - the only way to eliminate the possibility of NOD being the cause of that is to:

(a) click on the NOD SYSTRAY icon and then on "Quit" and

(b) to do a quick C/A/D and "Stop" the service.

If you do that, though, remember to re-start your system (which you'd probably want to do anyway after installing anything) to get those two NOD components up and running again.

It's also pretty much a must (if you're going to totally shut down NOD) to be sure to have scanned the d/l with everything you've got before installing it - both the zip and whatever it un-zips before the install. HTH Pete

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I really dislike the fact that I have to reboot in order to restart NOD. I have never had an AV before that you could not disable and re-enable without rebooting. It wasn't so bad when I had just my W98SE box as it needs to be rebooted frequently anyhow, but this is a real pain in the butt with my new XP Pro box as that can run for ages without needing a reboot. Consequently, I almost never quit NOD when installing new applications,etc. On those occasions when I do exit NOD to install something, I almost always forget to reboot and find hours later that I have no protection. With any other AV I used, I would get notification that I needed to re-enable the resident monitor if I forgot to do so. This is something that needs fixing with NOD32.

It is also irritating when I go to a site such as PCPitstop where I need to disable all running programs to get the best score and again, I forget to reboot afterwards. I should be able to just re-enable Amon without the need to reboot.

4. .Chris

.Chris Registered Member

Errrmmm, why not just disable AMON (via the user interface) for the duration of the install? No need to restart even. And, when you're done, re-enable it. If you do happen to forget, the nice red NOD32 icon in the system tray should alert you enough.

At least, thats what I do when I'm gaming. :)

Btw, you don't need to disable NOD32 for a install, at least not in my case... could be otherwise.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I agree, no need to reboot the machine in order to have AMON disabled. Just untick the AMON enabled check-box for the time necessary.

6. rumpstah

rumpstah Registered Member

I have NEVER had to disable NOD32 to run any software installations. How about some examples. I would like to test them. :D

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Ughhh...gee, the darn disable button should be available on right click on the systray icon! Who would ever think to call up the main window and then look for a box to uncheck! Grrrr...the GUI is so bad for NOD32. It is a completely stupid GUI. I would be so happy if it was more like the NAV and PC-Cillin GUI's which are outstanding. I think the reason so many people stay with NAV (even in the face of the Verisign and the other Liveupdate unable to download mess) is because they love the GUI.

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Mele,

Cosmetics are a matter ofpersonal taste; many, many actually do love the GUI. Sorry to hear you don't.

As for:

If so, this would be the dumbest reason I can think of to decide upon such a serious matter as an AV :rolleyes:

regards.

paul

9. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

LOL! Sorry you're having trouble, Mel... :D

As for me, I really like the new GUI--especially without the graphics. A million times better than before. And really, it's not *that* hard to get to the RTM tickbox! ;)

10. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

I too love the new GUI - except for one completely frivolous point. I really miss the old pulsing membrane. I wish it could be included as an option.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Gee, I'd completely forgotten about that pulsing membrane! I tried NOD32 several times along time ago long (when it was still obscure) and I just couldn't stand that sticky glop and so I never got beyond the trial. Finally, I forced myself to tolerate that ugly blob. :) I guess it finally "grew" on me! So, I must say that in that regard, the version 2 GUI is much better!

It think it goes beyond cosmetics. I am not quite so shallow as to seriously complain publicly about disliking the GUI just because I prefer the color red to blue or something else frivolous which is what is usually meant when the word "cosmetics" is used in this context. :) I have always found the GUI for both versions to be confusing and hard to use. That is probably because I come to NOD32 from McAfee, then NAV , then PCC all of which have similar GUIs. I refuse to use what is the most highly touted of all AVs (according to those over at my home site of DSLR) precisely because the GUI is absolutely awful, so according to your reasoning, I am really "dumb" when it comes to choosing an AV. ;)

I do seriously believe that many users stick with NAV, etc. because they find the GUI so easy to use and understand and they think the AV is reasonably good also.
    Why is that dumb, Paul? If the GUI is confusing then the user may make mistakes when setting up the AV and not even realize it. Users stick with things that they understand and find easy to use...especially the average users who don't find their way to forums like this. I know this has been discussed before and dismissed ...too lightly IMO. If Eset wants the U.S. crowd to come over to NOD32 in large numbers then they need to make the GUI more appealing and easier to use. One simple example would be the lack of right click on the systray icon to disable AMON. Another which is only partially a GUI issue is this notion that quarantine doesn't move the actual file there but leaves it and copies to quarantine. That isn't made very clear and other AV's move the file. If the NOD user expects the file is moved when it isn't that could be dangerous.

I agree there has been considerable progress from the GUI for version one to the GUI for version two. I think there is room though still for a lot more improvement. I don't agree at all that the consideration of the GUI is a stupid reason for possibly choosing or not choosing a particular AV as it is a very important aspect of the total product. It should not be the sole reason, of course, but I think for average users it frequently it is the only reason (or at least the major reason).

12. Paul Wilders

Mele,

"...and the think the AV is reasonably good also"

That's an addition to your original statement, Mele ;). In case users decide upon their opinion in regard to the quality from the software, that's quite a different matter.

Actually, there hardly ever are complaints about the NOD32 GUI being confusing - not over on this board, or as a complaint filed at Eset as far as I know.

You would be very much surprised to know how fast Eset is expanding - talking worldwide here. The GUI doesn't seem an issue from that point of view ;)

Take good care,

paul

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well, that is a nice try and I suppose I can't expect anything else from the host site admin of the Nod32 "official" forum. Just brush any attempt at constructive criticism off...that has always been the case in this forum ever since it was set up. Why do you think DSLR is my home site? I generally fight tooth and nail there for NOD and sometimes it has been brutal, but one thing it has never been there is "canned" everything is always perfect with NOD responses which is always the case here from you. But then you will say well this is the official forum ...well where else but in the official forum should constructive criticism be raised and not brushed offo_O??

Also, how could you have thought I meant that users choose NAV even though they think it is a lousy AV just because they like the GUI? It goes without saying, I thought, that users think the AVs they consider are reasonably good...most think they are all about the same ...then the choice comes down to other things...like the GUI, who has the best support, which AV uses the least resources if you are on W98/ME, etc.

I really think Eset should host their support forum. I like this site but it shouldn't have a forum like this. It is so obviously so prejudicial. I mean, what else could you say but what you did. So predictable. Better to get the forum away from this site and put it where it should be. I far prefer to talk directly to Eset ...why have you as middlemano_O?? I guess Eset is not prepared to host the forum...well that in and of itself causes some to give pause when thinking about what av to get. Why doesn't Eset host the forum on their own website?

14. Paul Wilders

Mele, "nice try"? o_O I'm merely expressing the overall feelings - some of them have been posted in this thread by users as well. No one is brushing your remarks off - it's only not that much do agree with you. As for criticism in general: have a look at the overall threads. You wil notice criticism is allowed fairly all the time.

I don't know what home site is yours - or others posting over here for that matter.

I for one believe it's a good thing in case a satisfied customer expresses his beliefs ;)

Well, I have answered the "brushing off" issue above.

...because that is what you have been stating. I only can respond to what is actually written down over here...

Seems a far better way to decide indeed.

Who knows what the future will bring ;). As it is, this is the Official Eset/NOD32 forum.

Thanks!

And you honestly believe a dedicated support forum on an Eset server would be unbiased o_O It would most probably allow far less then is allowed now over here...

See my last comment above.

That's a one man's personal opinion - and no doubt you are entitled to your own opinion.

Well, support@eset.com is at your disposal ;)

"me" refers to this board I presume. Well, there could be various reasons; one of them is a high exposure - this board is heading to 1 million hits a month ;)

One more: your personal opinion. Overall, customers are very pleased with these Eset Support Forums.

Take good care,

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.